1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Poll, What is the most you usually consider dropping on a knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Ippon, Jan 6, 2017.

?

What is your usual max 1 knife budget?

1. 500 or more

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  2. 400

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. 300

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. 250

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. 200

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. 150

16 vote(s)
    24.6%
  7. 100

17 vote(s)
    26.2%
  8. 50

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  9. less than 50

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Rich73

Rich73 Loaded Pockets

It's all subjective and Ghostwalker54 sums it up well. My weakness is (or was) good watches - I've cut the collection down a lot and now have a dozen keepers. I always wear an automatic watch and I've yet to break or lose one, at work or play. Knives however are something I see as more like tools, and as such I like affordable, replaceable ones. So 50 GBP max - though I did recently crack for a walnut handled James County... Here we go...

2. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

It's my hope that they are blacksmiths or engineers or something like that. But not artists

The only artisanal knife I own, was a gift from my wife. Has scrimshawed scales by Linda Layden (sp?).

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

3. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

One watch. Eterna-Matic Kontiki Diver Bicolor. Accuracy is at 15 sec per month! About 20-25 years old and a true EDC (not my picture).

[​IMG]

Sorry for side tracking, but I had to.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  4. Ghostwalker54
    • +2 Supporter

Ghostwalker54 Loaded Pockets

Not familiar with all the rules here ladies and gents (every forum has a few that are different) where are we allowed to post a knife giveaway? No money changes hands on this. Also apologize for any sidetrack but it is a knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. EricV

EricV Loaded Pockets

I'll do up to $200 if it's cool and I really want it. Anything over that needs to be really special and typically not standard production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. farnorthdan
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

farnorthdan Loaded Pockets

I like nice stuff and am willing to pay for it, whats that saying, pay once cry once. As most here who know me, know that I'm kinda crazy for Spydies, I have a few. I have recently discovered Shirogorov knives, that's about all I'm going to say about "the most I'm willing to drop on a knife".

7. aicolainen

aicolainen Empty Pockets

I don't have a fixed limit for any kind of purchase, but the mind has some kind of built-in compass that gives me a bad feeling when a purchase seem to be out of line for its intended use.
    First of all, I try to figure out its practical value. There is no easy way to do this, but cost divided by estimated use time is a good rule of thumb. An EDC folder would score way better than a survival knife on this one. That's probably why I don't own a dedicated survival knife.

Redundancy have the opposite effect. If I have something that could do much of the same without great loss of function, it's a lot harder to justify the higher price tag.

There will also be some kind bonus points to gear that generates activity. E.g. new cross-country skies or running shoes will gain an advantage here.

Oh.. and I'm not going to fool you. I'm not a flashy dude, so there's no jewelry or fancy clothes going on here, but I will sometimes put down some extra money to get an item I associate with. I guess this is a way of compensating for those other other things I don't do. One way this becomes evident is that I often find myself buying new productions of items with somewhat historical importance, e.g. CRK Sebenza, Hamilton field watch, 1911 handgun etc.. I never buy the old productions since I'm not a collector, and I would also be afraid to use those items.

I try to be environmentally conscious, so I don't like to over consume just because I can. By that I mean I would rather by one knife from a manufacturer that has a proven track record of good quality, a nice repair policy and good ethics, rather than a bunch of throwaway knives.

And finally, the most important criteria, any hobby or luxury product must not make a noticeable impact on more important expenditures like family, house and car maintenance, vacations and such.

My Small Sebenza holds the position for highest price tag, but if I also consider pocket time, cutting time and how well I like it, it's one of my best buys, and such also makes it very high up on my best value ranking.

On topic: even if I really like a knife, have a justifiable use case and funding is no issue whatsoever, any knife over 2000NOK/200USD would require additional assessment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. ScottieG59

ScottieG59 Loaded Pockets

In most cases, I stay under $70, but I will go higher for something compelling or special. Generally, I carry budget knives, but I may have more premium knives near. I do not abuse my knives and I maintain them, so something like D2 does very well. For me, paying extra for a blade that is a pain to maintain is no good. I am more than will to pay less and strop/sharpen a little more often. On the survey, I specified $200 max, but I will go higher, but not for an EDC.