1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Portable AM/FM with flexible whip?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by jkpq45, Dec 6, 2016.

1. jkpq45

jkpq45 Empty Pockets

I have a Baofeng UV-5R with the Nagoya 771 antenna installed--sure beats the typical portable AM/FM radios' telescoping antenna that always seems to kink and break.

Is there a similar unit, with a flexible (or replaceable) antenna that will receive AM broadcast? Don't think the new unit needs 2m/70cm capabilities, but I'll take it if they have it.

Thanks!
    jkpq45

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Yaesu VX3 does AM as well as FM broadcast and is also a full transceiver for the Ham bands and I run mine on AA batteries usually too.
    AM reception is more dependant on antenna length and not resonance like with FM so better AM performance will usually involve getting a long wire out there somehow so your radio would need an attachment point for that so you can extend its antenna circuit for AM.

I think the CountyComm radio has this but I don't have mine with me right now to look?

The Yaesu has an internal bar antenna for AM though and it seems OK from the little I have used it but yo can also listen to Broadcast and HAM at the same time with it which can be a handy feature too.

3. revs
    • The Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

EZDog, where did you get the AA battery pack for the Yaesu? I have one and have thought about getting one myself since work gives out AAs for our work radios.

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think at HRO when I got the radio.
    I am not even sure where my Lithium battery pack is anymore?

revs likes this.
  5. jkpq45

jkpq45 Empty Pockets

EZ, looks like the ContyComm offerings have telescopic metal antennas--just can't keep those from kinking, so looking for something flexible.

Tha VX-3R is nice, but $160+ is a bit much. The Baofeng clone doesn't have AM broadcast capabilities.

Any other ideas?

6. jkpq45

jkpq45 Empty Pockets

Alternatively, if I buy a radio that has something like this, how can I adapt the screw-in-plate antenna to something more typical of aftermarket antennas, like BNC or SMA?

[​IMG]

7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Like I said before,the telescopic whip antenna is not for AM but for FM and in the case of the CC radio there IS an external antenna input for a wire AM antenna too.

So for AM you will be best served with a long wire for AM.

Most decent radios with serious AM reception should feature the same external input for AM.

Radios with detachable antennas are generally transceivers and not just receivers and most receivers will not have detachable antennas.

You could certainly modify one to detach but again,this is not the antenna for AM anyway usually.

8. JoshTF

JoshTF Loaded Pockets

I have and really like the county comm radio for just this use. It has an FM teliscoping antenna, but its replaceable and the replacements are cheap. It also uses a flexible AM antenna that packs up small and works well. For the price I think it's one of the most portable and versatile receivers on the market.

9. Maze

Maze Loaded Pockets

As a ham, I usually have an HT on me (Yaesu VX3 or Icom ID52a) but I always carra a Sangean DT-400W as well. It is the perfect EDC broadcast and weather radio IMO.

10. 00ChevyScott

00ChevyScott Loaded Pockets