1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Proper care of 18650 batteries

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by riot, Jul 2, 2013.

riot Loaded Pockets

I have a bunch of 18650 batteries for my lights, and I am wondering if I have to do anything special to maintain them or prolong their life. Two of them I've charged but never used, they are my spares. Are they ok just sitting around? Should I throw them on the charger every once in a while to top them off? Or are they better off just sitting until I need them? Thanks!

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Theron Loaded Pockets

I think it's best to store them half charged, but in reality it won't matter too much. Just don't overcharge or completely discharge them. Probably a good idea to rotate them through your lights as well.
    david57strat, Blerv and riot like this.

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I typically have them in lights that I occasionally use (full or near full). For ideal storing though:

• Lithium-ion must be stored in a charged state, ideally 40 percent. This assures that the battery will not drop below 2.50V/cell with self-discharge and fall asleep.
    • Discard Li-ion if the voltage has stayed below 2.00/V/cell for more than a week.
    riot likes this.

derfyled Loaded Pockets

Another good precaution about your spares is to monitor the voltage if you are using a multi-cell flashlight to be sure they both have the same voltage. They might not have discharged to the same level.
    david57strat, riot and Blerv like this.

Th4rg0r Loaded Pockets

Keep them in a good box in parallel. Label date of purchase, check charge every few months from date. Careful if u store them in lights, just remember to check them once in a while.
    david57strat and riot like this.

riot Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the replies!

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4 Beta