1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

quick question about the legality of Monkey fists

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by Tango 191, Aug 21, 2010.

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

I have had one on my keychain for years, and i was recently looking through our state's statue book to answer a friends question, when i looked at the weapons section they explicitly said that slugshots were illegal(without a CCW) not knowing what a slugshot was i looked it up and sure enough money fists showed up as a definition of a slugshot.
    I live in FL, can anyone clear this up for me? it was made in FL for me by a friend and i would really hate to take it off

It does have a led ball as the center (just a FYI)

CDavisJK Loaded Pockets

Don't bring it to court and don't hit anyone with it and you'll be fine. I'm sure the law is against 5+ lb monkeys fists actually being used as weapon.

twinboysdad Loaded Pockets

saps and blackjacks are legal in FL, why would you fool around with a lesser weapon?

StealthChaser13 Loaded Pockets

are you sure your talking about the right thing? is it a slugshot, or a slungshot? a slungshot is a wrist-brace slingshot.

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

I would imagine (but don't quote me) it's a decorative key fob, right up until the moment you have to "use" it!!

RGNY Empty Pockets

Main Entry: slung·shot
    Pronunciation: \ˈsləŋ-ˌshät\
    Function: noun
    Date: 1842
    : a striking weapon consisting of a small mass of metal or stone fixed on a flexible handle or strap

yes, the monkeyfist is -technically- a slungshot.

so are hundreds of other keychains. one of the thugs in my high school carried a 1/2" socket on a short piece of clothesline, all wrapped in electrical tape, as a "keychain".

you will probably go your whole life without anyone noticing it or caring about it, unless you happen to be arrested for something else or until you use it as a weapon.

in that case it becomes an illegal weapon, and an easy additional charge that would need to be negotiated.

personally, i wouldn't worry about it, you've had it this long. i see them constantly during boat season.

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

because i didnt intend it as a weapon, i carry other things to defend myself i dont need to smack someone around with a piece of string with a ball in the center, i just liked it as a keychain

JDW1461 Empty Pockets

We have a similar statute here in WA State. Unles you have a cord attached longer than about 8" and intend it as a weapon it seems cool to me. It would be difficult to articulate intent and that it is a weapon unless you are engaged in some other form of jack-assery. There have been instances of a-holes attaching a padlock to a bandana as a make shift slungshot that is pretty obvious.

FreestyleAssassin Empty Pockets

+1 on that!

I have BAD stories about lesser weapons!

Be glad you live in Florida!

paustin Loaded Pockets

I am a police Sgt. in Northwest Florida. I don't think you have anything to worry about by carrying a monkey fist. The biggest thing law enforcement is concerned with are firearms. Outside of that you are pretty much free to carry whatever you like. I see people carrying 4+ inch blade folders, kubatons and all kinds of other stuff. Things might be different in south Florida, but I know I don't look at anything past firearms for the most part. I have made monkey fists for my friends who aren't cops and they carry them. I use marbles or steel ball bearings for the center of the ones I made.

yam350 Loaded Pockets

The origins of the slung shot come from the days of sail when a weighted monkey fist would be attached to the end of a heaving line so that it could be easily slung ashore to pull a heavy hawser up to moor the boat. Sailing types everywhere use them as keyrings, including me. On the loop at the end of the braid on mine I have a small marine quality bronze carabiner so it it easy to detach from my keys and actually us it as a heaving line weight (weapon).
    In Europe I have flown with it in my pocket three times in the last year with no problems and not a second look from any security.
    I make them for friends as decorative gifts with the capacity for last ditch defence, I usually weight them with a 30g/1oz fishing weight.
    So far I have never had a problem with the police when carrying mine.

davem Loaded Pockets

If you hit someone with a monkey fist, wouldn't you just be ******* them off? We're talking about a marble wrapped in string? That seems like it would just be annoying.

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

I'm talking about a 3/4 inch steel ball bearing. ;D

But I agree, in most cases it just be a deterrant (sp), the bunch of keys on the other end would probably be more effective.

Larwyn Loaded Pockets

I have a monkey fist out in the shop that I made several years ago from 3/8" pull rope (the synthetic yellow crap that electricians use). I tied it around a steel ball from a ball mill, the ball is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter. I do not know what it weighs but I have destroyed some rather sturdy items with it, never used it to hit a person. It would not make a very good key chain but would be a very effective weapon.

bouncer Loaded Pockets

Years ago I had a steel pinball (used to be in the business) tied in a bandanna one night goofing off a a doughnut shop my girlfriend at the time worked at. I dented a steel security door with it. Those things are not toys they can cause real damage.