1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a cheap, tough, waterproof watch

Discussion in 'Watches' started by thegrouch314, Oct 12, 2016.

1. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I'm looking for a watch under £20 or so.
    It needs to be waterproof and be able to handle 24/7 wear. I'm not bothered about other features or whether it's analogue or digital. It'd be nice if it looked good and solar powered would be a plus.
    I know I'm not going to get anything that will last forever for that price but I'm a broke student, It just needs to see me through the 4 years until I graduate.
    Thanks

2. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

313 and jcombs like this.
  3. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Kev2488 likes this.
  4. Ddop10

Ddop10 Loaded Pockets

Casio ae1000w

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

5. Larry Larson

Larry Larson Loaded Pockets

If you'd like some a little more classic looking, I'd recommend the Timex Weekender. It's not solar and is analog dial only, but simple, classic and elegant is how I'd describe it. They start at about £20 and go up from there

6. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I will have to say that I don't think it will be easy to tick all the boxes for a £20 budget - especially finding something that will survive four years of 24/7 wear. Having said that though, there are a few options available depending on your preferences for look and style.

My recommendation would be to check out what is available to you from Casio - they are well regarded as being about the best quality you will get for anywhere near that budget, and they do have a range of watches available if you shop around - something like the W214 looks like a solid G Shock inspired design, or maybe something like the W86 for something a bit lower profile (though somewhat dated in style - something you will either love or hate). They also have a few options available for analog watches if that would be your preference in different styles.

I know it may be a big ask when you are starting with such a low budget, but one of my favourite options for a basic watch is the Citizen BM8180, which I can see available in the UK for £60 - the extra money I would say is more than worth it, and further down the line less than £10 on a new strap can completely transform the look of it if you want to smarten it up or give yourself more options. At the same time I do appreciate that comes in rather over your original budget, but I felt it worth mentioning to give you something slightly more traditional in style, with the benefit of solar power and a slightly more robust waterproofing (100m over 30m or 50m).

7. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Check out a Pawn Shop or several. That's where my two Eco Drive watches came from. Also got an Orient Black Mako at a Pawn Shop for much less than buying new.

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Another vote for Casio. Besides the lower end of the G-shock 'species', there are a bunch of other Casio models which like the G-shock are in molded resin; are digital; etc.etc. But for your best performance go with the G-shock. Spend some time on the Amazon website. More choices there than virtually (no pun intended!) anywhere else.

Happy New Year!

Moshe ben David