1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Recommend small inexpensive but quality hatchet?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by OreoGaborio, Aug 7, 2013.

1. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

They both look like that now - as I said, I may have gone a bit overboard - 320 grit paper to get them into shape, then 600, 800, 1200, 2000 followed by a strop on green bark river compound
    I figured if I was going to sharpen it, I may as well do it properly.

This is what it can do (yes my arm hair is a bit short, it's a byproduct of sharpening for fun*)
    [​IMG]

*sharpening for fun typically starts with "let's see how sharp we can get this" and ends with "wow that's shiny"

2. OreoGaborio

OreoGaborio Loaded Pockets

That's so awesome :rofl:

3. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

Better than having it end with "Wow, is all of that my blood?" ;)

SAKplumber, echo63 and Foster like this.
  4. burntrat

burntrat Loaded Pockets

I have no problem with sharpening them, but does it have to be manually sharpened? I use the spyderco sharpmaker for my small blades and they come out uneven a lot of the times. Can I just use an auto sharpener that I just swipe against?

5. gear_queer

gear_queer Loaded Pockets

i own a set of fiskars axe's/hatchet, ive had them for about 3 years. the blades have held up fine but the hatchet handle broke and you cant replace it. ill keep the axe until it breaks but im not buying another one. im sticking to wooden handle chopping tools.

6. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I have been there too - "wow that's sharp - uh oh that's not good"

The steep bevels of most axes will make I hard to sharpen on a powered sharpener, or even a Sharpmaker.

Sharpening requires practice, but most axes are convex ground, and simple to get sharp, the fiskars have a flat bevel that makes sharpening even easier, just grind away flat on the bevel.
    Taking them to a hair popping polished edge is unneccasary, I just did it because I had some time to kill, and see if I could

7. Foster
    • The Omnia Paratus

Foster Loaded Pockets

The bevel on an axe is different from that on a knife, so a pull-through sharpener won't give you a good result. Luckily, the bigger the blade, the easier it is to sharpen manually, and axe blades tend to be simple as well. There are lots of good videos on youtube that will show you how to sharpen an axe quickly and easily. There are as many ways to effectively sharpen an axe as there are folks sharpening axes, so you'll have to figure out what your preferred method is.

8. dwong

dwong Loaded Pockets

Got a fiskars hatchet 14inch handle, used for over 10yrs for camping and backyard, still going strong.

9. Zebulon

Zebulon Loaded Pockets

Have you considered something like a kukri machete? I have a Cold Steel two-handed kukri that I use for yard work and it does a great job.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

10. burntrat

burntrat Loaded Pockets

I guess I'm going with an Estwing axe since Fiskar axes can break. I might possibly purchase a Fiskar hatchet in the future. A couple more questions:
    -Since the Estwing is 1 piece steel, does the exposed metal need to be constantly oiled to protect it?
    -I ordered the Lansky puck and honing oil for the fine stuff, but what should I get the initial filing? I see Nicholson bastard cut files are popular, but now that they are not made in the USA, the quality of those files have gone down. Are there any other alternatives or are those current Nicholson files good enough?

swany66675 likes this.
  11. Foster
    • The Omnia Paratus

Foster Loaded Pockets

The Estwing shouldn't rust too badly so long as you keep it out of the weather. If you're worried about it you can always give it a coat or two of rust paint on the exposed steel. I've had lots of experience with Estwings, and they will get a patina of rust if you leave them out in the open, but it wont hurt the performance or longevity too badly. If you do end up getting rust and it drives you crazy, it's a simple matter of giving the axe a soak in Evaporust solution overnight, and the rust comes right off, no elbow grease required.

As for files, pretty much any file you get will do the job. Failing that you can use any high grit stone, I've even used cinder blocks in the field.

burntrat likes this.
  12. burntrat

burntrat Loaded Pockets

I'm probably being way too OCD about this, but does it matter if the file is a double cut or a single cut? I ordered a double cut version thinking it'll save time, but is it too aggressive? I can probably exchange it for a single cut if that is the way to go.

13. Foster
    • The Omnia Paratus

Foster Loaded Pockets

You probably want an aggressive file for the initial reprofiling. After that finish it with a fine stone or progressively finer sandpaper.

swany66675 likes this.
  14. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

You can see the results of progressively finer sandpaper (the grey/black wet and dry paper) in my pictures above.
    Mine was stopped on BRKT black and green compounds too, but was nice and shiny after the 2000 grit

15. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure exactly what you're using it for, but for backpacking, I use a Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel for firewood. I shopped online for weeks trying to find the right hatchet, and several times ended up looking at this shovel. I'm glad I did. It is more than capable of anything I've needed it for, so far. Plus, you have a shovel for other things. The spade is very tough and almost flat, so it packs well. It also comes pretty sharp all the way around. Now, when it comes to splitting logs, I'm not so sure this is what you would want. It's probably tough enough, but you may have to work harder than you want to.

[​IMG]

I added a paracord turk's head wrap for comfort and looks.

16. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

A hatchet should have a stainless steel core in the handle. A wooden hatchet handle can easily break during chopping. The head can then fly into someones skull.

A large fixed blade full tang survival knife can be used as a hatchet, as well as have other uses. So it is multifunctional.

Handling a tomahawk is very dangerous, since it has a pointed backside. It can puncture your face, if you pull it out of a tree with force. And it kan puncture your foot, if you drop it.

17. Blackheart
    • +2 Supporter
    • +1 Supporter

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I got a similar kick out of buying a Husky auto line feed head for my weed whacker. :bounce:

18. Allans865

Allans865 Loaded Pockets

I'll second that for the Fiskars x7...just picked one up for £20...bargain!

19. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Estwing is the best going . I have used one since 60s. If you use it much on green wood they take on nice stain .
    There is a reason that they have been around so long . Great company !

Jake

20. Gym55Rat

Gym55Rat Loaded Pockets

Maybe not what you looking for weight wise, it I love my Garant pro series carpenters axe for the small stuff. 2.25lbs head just under 20"