1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Review of FourSevens QP2L-X with burst mode

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by pduds, Aug 12, 2013.

pduds Loaded Pockets

This review will be about the new(ish) QP2L-X by FourSevens. I got it just the other day after Canadian customs held it for 6 days (I think maybe they were playing with it). I opened the light and it was all I could do to keep from going into a darkened room and turning it on.

[IMG]

No, I told myself, this light needed full darkness. As my wife and I hiked the dog into the wilderness by our house, her with her 4Sevens QPA, she kept asking me to turn it on full. "Not yet, I said" "There's still some sunlight left." I could only bring myself to turn it onto the setting Just above moonlight (2nd dimmest). I tripped and fell over rocks. Soon darkness fell completely and I cranked it. Man I was not disappointed. the light is bright and THEN some. I don't know technical illumination terms (check out CPF if you want these) but tonight (the next night) I took it out and it can light up a goal post across a football field with the max. I kept it on several times to see if I could notice the gradual "ramping down" of brightness but I could not. I did notice that the light gets slightly warm when left on for several minutes-- this might becomes an issue if you are always leaving it on full, but I would assume 4Sevens designs it so it will not explode in your hand.

The accessories it came with are not my favorites. I don't like the 4Sevens lanyard. It has a huge metal clip that is hard to put on, mars the finish, and is too long. I use the Inova X5 lanyard when needed. Likewise, the plastic handgrip thing that runs the length of the flashlight seems to be awkward and unnecessary to me.
    [IMG]

If you're really in an environment where you can barely hang onto your light, you probably need a headlamp. I like the little single-finger accessory that came with the QPA. you can use it for underhand or overhand carry and it provides just a little bit of extra security. Here's a picture of it adding just a bit of extra security:
    [IMG]
    I also ordered the "deep carry" pocket clip. the clip extends upward from where the normal clip-on position on the flashlight is so that it can go deeper into your pocket. It does ride a bit deeper. But, in practice, the clip is flimsier. It works well on regular pants or shorts, like the Levi's pictured below:
    [IMG]

it rides deeper, which will keep it out of view (but harder to access). I would not use it on pockets that have wider fabric, like the Carhartt's pictured here-- They have an extra patch to protect against tool clips. the wider fabric almost seems to bend the deep-carry clip open.
    [IMG]
    Here's a comparison shot with the regular clip on the same pair of shorts:
    [IMG]

the regular clip just feels more solid and like it will have better retention. it is tighter against the body of the light. if I were hiking through the woods, I would not trust the deep carry clip to keep the light secure in my pocket. The normal clip will be my everyday carry clip. the 1/2 inch it protrudes is a small price to pay for better retention. it doesn't add a ton of extra height. as you can see you can even keep it in the change pocket of a pair of Levi 559s:
    [IMG]
    And, just for fun, here it is in a pair of TAD Gear cargos:
    [IMG]
    I also ordered a tactical tailcap. This does not convert it into a tactical light but a soft touch will activate the momentary on. another soft touch will cycle to the next feature, and so on. you can also use the 'hard on' to click the light on, and again, clicking it off then back on will cycle it to the next feature. I did notice that with the tactical tailcap the emitter head has to be very precisely set up-- if it is turned too far, it won't cycle into SOS mode, for example. but it does work well if you want the momentary-on feature and, like me, don't want to have to program a tactical light and want more than just 2 brightness levels.

One complaint I have with the light is there is no way to break the circuit without taking out the batteries. On my wife's QPA, you unscrew the tailcap a bit, click the tailcap, and the light will not turn on. On the QP2L-X you can unscrew it until the tailcap is just barely on the thread and it will still activate. This may be an issue if you're carrying it in a pocket or gearbag, especially if you habitually leave it on the max setting. you might find your pocket heating up, or worse, your light out of batteries due to an accidental on. This is a somewhat major design oversight that I am not happy with.

I seriously cannot see how anyone would need a brighter light for general use, especially considering the form factor. It is a "take anywhere" light. fits into shorts, jeans, even my wife's small handbag. there is no reason I will leave home without it again.
    reppans likes this.

rasbora Loaded Pockets

I've found the large grip works better if it's put on with the ends reversed, so that the strap runs the full length of the light, attaching at the ends and back over the rubber tubes.

reppans Loaded Pockets

Good honest review.. I like reading critical comments on lights - always seems more helpful than the pure glowing ones. Agree on the accessories and deep pocket clip, I really like the standard clip, it's easily the strongest of any light I own. I don't like the forward tactical clickies on Pro UIs at all though.

They removed the anodizing on the new tailcaps which disables the lockout, it might still work if you swap tailcaps with your wife's light though. David the owner has commented this was done for legal reasons. Of my light collection, I've never felt a need to lock out Quarks though - the Pro clickies are well protected and the Tac's are pretty stiff.

I'll pass until a low voltage burst mode head comes out though, the ability to run common 1.5v AAs in a pinch is far more important to me than a screaming turbo.

pduds Loaded Pockets

Hahahah, i can't believe I overlooked this. installed CORRECTLY, it works a lot better. i still dislike the feel of it, though.

rasbora Loaded Pockets

Eh, took me a few days to think of it. I think foursevens actually show them the other way, too.

rasbora Loaded Pockets

Any idea what the issue with the lockout anodizing was? Doesn't seem like it'd be a safety issue, but I'm not an electrical engineer, and I can't find any discussion of it.

reppans Loaded Pockets

He doesn't say, and I haven't seen other discussion of it yet... almost sounds like an industry thing though. I'll bet it's something dumb, like someone's tailcap unscrewed a hair while riding a bicycle causing the light to go out and them to crash.

clicky

rasbora Loaded Pockets

Ah. I think I get it. It's not safety at all. It's an IP/patent issue. From clicky: "an aggressive company has been pressuring us". Probably starts with an S and rhymes with "tire", given how much they like to crow about their lockout tailcaps. Expect not to see lockout tailcaps on anything but their products fairly soon.

Partagas Loaded Pockets

Great flashlight. I got one for my dad for Christmas last year

pduds Loaded Pockets

I am liking the tactical cap on the pro model more and more. If you want, for example, mode 4, you do 3 "soft" presses then the last one you click fully out and it's locked in. the tactical tailcap is a bit different than i imagined (i figured it would be like the one on the Inova X5) but it is very useful to have temporary/quick on capability. i would say i keep the tac cap on about 3/4 of the time.

heat build-up on the light is surprisingly quick. i have yet to leave it on high for several minutes, mostly because i use the moonlight and medium settings to preserve night vision and don't want to blow through too many 123s, but I can definitely see where it would become a problem. i don't know whether you could damage the light, but in my few tests of under 2 minutes the light gets warm on the high setting.

overall this is a crazy good performer that goes from moonlight to search-and-rescue in a turn of the bezel.