1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Rush 24 vs. GR1 vs. Fast Pack EDC

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by EchoFox, Oct 4, 2012.

?

Which one would you choose??

5.11 tactical Rush 24 18 vote(s) 35.3%
Goruck GR1 16 vote(s) 31.4%
TAD Fast Pack EDC 14 vote(s) 27.5%
Other, please explain 3 vote(s) 5.9%

EchoFox Loaded Pockets

In the market for a good EDC pack which I can use for everything from carrying books to going hiking/camping. At the moment I am leaning towards the Rush 24 because of the price, but I really like the waist straps on the fast pack. I know there have been a lot of threads about some of these packs but I wanted to see what the majority of you all thought.
    Discuss
    • +2 Supporter

Paulie Walnuts Loaded Pockets

The 5.11 packs are fantastic EXCEPT the fact that they don't have a waist strap. Getting older and having minor back issues, I need that lumbar strap to help with the load..That is the only thing keeping me from the 5.11 bigger packs.

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

If money were no object, probably the TAD although I've never held one up close and personal, or the 5.11 bags for that matter. I just like the way it looks.

Aonghus Loaded Pockets

I go back and forth over this as well, with a few other options thrown in. Each of the packs you mention comes close to THE pack for me, but each leaves out something I'd like to see and two of them do it in a very expensive way, which is why I haven't picked up and EDC Fast Pack or GR1...they're not perfect. I could easily see spending that much on the right pack, but I wouldn't want to compormise to do it, the RUSH 24, at least, can be had for a far more reasonable price than the other two.

AcerCulter Loaded Pockets

If you have a the money, the GR1's simplicity (and construction) just works best (for me at least) as a true EDC pack. I wouldn't really consider it an outdoor pack though (I'm sure you could use it as a daypack, there are just better cheaper/lighter packs for that purpose).

One thing that people seem to complain a lot about the TAD EDC is the need to go through the two top buckles (if you're using) before you can unzip the main compartment.

Of all the ones that you've picked (and definitely a majority of other bags), I think that TAD EDC is the most aesthetically pleasing. From the oval pod shape, the beaver tail, the pod pockets, ergo straps, the TAD definitely has the highest cool factor. The modularity is also much more fitting for going from a EDC pack to an outdoor pack. I think TAD is also going to release the next iteration of their packs sometime within the near future.

I'd also suggest looking at the Arcteryx Arro 22. I don't have one personally. However, it fits your description rather well (price is also better). The Arkiv from Mission Workshop is another pack that might interest you (price is up with TAD and GR, there is also a lot of expandability with their packs though).
    Gh0st likes this.

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

If you like a pack with 500 pockets,pouches,sleeves in really odd places, the Rush 24 is for you.

Doright1011 Loaded Pockets

My brother has a 24. I bought a Fast EDC. TAD pack is beyond 5.11 in all areas. ( not to insult any 24 owners ). The TAD issue with the clips covering the main compartment zip has not been an issue. If adjusted correctly you sit the pack down & when accessing the main body the straps just slide to the side to allow easy access.
    Get a 24 to take to school. Get a TAD to go to work.

wave180 Loaded Pockets

If you have the budget, get the TAD. If you want to be practical, get the Rush. Actually, I would just get the Rush for school and Osprey Manta 25/30 for hiking.

UsubM Loaded Pockets

I have the 5.11 RUSH 24 and TAD EDC, so I can only speak on those, but if you can afford it, I'd definitely recommend the TAD. By itself, the 5.11 RUSH 24 is a great bag for urban EDC, I wouldn't use it for outdoors tasks because of its lack of a waist strap and bag weight management (it only has one compression strap on the top of the bag, so it tends to sag at the bottom). However, the build quality and ruggedness is more than adequate.

I got the TAD EDC after a year of using the RUSH 24 because I thought that there must be something better out there that can do the same tasks as the RUSH, and be more versatile in the roles it can fulfill. The EDC has much better weight management, similar to technical hiking packs. The beavertail allows for compression not only on the sides, but across the back of the pack, and the clips on top let you pull the weight into your back, making it more comfortable to wear for longer periods of time. It also has a wide and robust waist strap that can support a lot of the weight of the pack (or all of it is you're traveling light) without getting uncomfortable. The built quality is nothing short of overbuilt. If the RUSH 24 is high quality, then the TAD is something else. It makes the RUSH 24 feel like a lower class of pack when directly comparing the two, even though both will undoubtedly serve you well.

I use the TAD for EDC mainly for school (college) tasks, and plan on using it as an overnight/lightweight camping bag when I get the opportunity to (I've packed it and wore it around, but haven't had the chance to really field test it yet)

The admin panel of the RUSH has a lot more room than that of the EDC, but the EDC makes me prioritize what I need, and I now prefer the more slimline approach of the EDC.

The EDC also has far less internal organization (the RUSH 24 has something like 4-5 mesh pockets in the main compartment), but I rarely used those and don't miss it in the EDC. I also like the external side pockets on the EDC much more than the "concealed" side pockets on the RUSH 24.

Also, the TAD is made in the USA, while the RUSH is made in either Taiwan or China (I can't remember at the moment), and I'm personally trying to move my EDC in that direction.

CheepSteal Loaded Pockets

I've heard that it's quite tedious to undo and redo the straps on the TAD packs when EDC'ing it, I think the TAD is more suited to outdoors where comfort is key and you're not taking things out every 30 minutes. The admin isn't that great in the TAD either.
    The R24 is better for organisation and easier to EDC, but as you mentioned doesn't come with a waist belt. Good news is, it has tri-glide attachment points so you can add your own waist belt, and with the new Brokos belt coming out, you can make the R24 have a real beefy belt for long, heavy loads. Let me know if you want a picture of what that looks like (they have a prototype in my local store and I took some pics of it on my R12).
    The GR1 would be great for EDC I reckon, but 300 bucks for less EDC capability than a $130 pack? I think it's more cool than it is practical, however, it might be just what you want if you can afford it.

CheepSteal Loaded Pockets

Sorry, just read that you wanted to use it hiking/camping. In that case, if you can afford it, I'd go with TAD pack for the versatility, cool factor and comfort. I don't think the R24 will lag that far behind in the camping/hiking realm, but with big loads you'd want those compression straps.

Just to add some more confusion, you can add lower compression straps to the R24 by using the Tier system straps used to tie their small models to the Rush 72. Several members on here have done it and it looks like it works great.

Mester Loaded Pockets

I had the Rush 24 which is a perfect bag when it comes to organization. But I was never happy with the straps and the way it was on my bag. When it was fully loaded it pulled me back. Now i have the GR 1 which is sitting just perfect and is very comfortabel even on long hikes ( just used it on a 12 hour daytrip to Disney Paris with a lot of camera gear and clothes)

But still missing the organization of the Rush :)

gunfighter Loaded Pockets

I just ordered a MultiCam Fastpack Lite speed. I will report on it soon...

EchoFox Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the responses guys. While I was at Oktoberfest yesterday I ran into another American who was carrying a TAD Lite Speed. He let me check it out. Seemed like a great bag very high quality. He had the waist straps removed on it which I hadn't even thought doing but now that I have seems like a must have feature. I was leaning towards the R24 but after checking out the TAD I think my mind has changed a bit. Still not sure though with that price. Anyone know where to get them cheap??
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

If we could get them cheap then we would all have one. ;)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    MadManBro and Haubitz like this.

Doright1011 Loaded Pockets

Buy cheap, buy twice.
    I'm on the lookout for a Litespeed now. All TAD gear holds its value so well that even used prices are close to new.
    Bite the bullet & get one. If you don't like it, sell it to me!

MadManBro Loaded Pockets

Being unable to see the bags in person can be a disadvantage once you narrow your search down. I went back and forth between the GR1 and the EDC before deciding on the TAD Gear EDC.
    I have been nothing less than thrilled with my choice on every level. I like the modularity and as far as the straps and clips go, they are all there for a purpose and do not 'busy up' the bag's appearance at all. I have removed the waist belt and I had also taken the beaver tail off, but I recently purchased a Kifaru organizer so I replaced the beaver tail and attached the organizer to the molle.
    It's a beautiful thing. Expensive, but overbuilt and it will hold it's value.

If TAD is indeed coming out with the next generation, they have a very tough act to follow. I for one am very glad to have gotten this version while it was still available.
    Hopefully TAD will be bringing back the legendary Patrol Size pack soon also. That would make a great 3DAP or BOB.

grayman Loaded Pockets

I've had the Rush 24, Black Water Day Pack, Maxpedition, Booq, Patagonia, Timbuk2, Briggs & Riley, Swiss Army, Red Oxx, TAD, and I think I'm forgetting a couple. I only kept the TAD Fast Pack EDC, the RedOxx C-Ruck, and the Swiss Army Big Ben. The RedOxx I use for travel, the TAD is my EDC pack, and the Swiss Army is what i use for work trips to haul all my electronics. I found the straps on the Rush 24 too short.