1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

S30V sharpening for a newbie?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Fladi, Feb 23, 2011.

Fladi Loaded Pockets

I've got a S30V knife (the surefire delta, $420 knife) and kinda need to sharpen it already but haven't done it ever before.
    So decided to first ask for an advise of how to do it right, the first time, for this particular steel.
    Recommendation/links for the specific tools i will need, will be appreciated as well! :)

Thank you!

DaPro Loaded Pockets

First things first, put that knife away, and grab some cheapies to practice on....yard sales or flea markets usually have old carbon steel kitchen knives for cheap.

I would say sand paper and mouse pad to begin, s30v will take a bit of time to sharpen, and you should be comfortable with the system you choose before tackling your $400 knife.

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

The Spyderco Sharpmaker is the simplest sharpener out there, and is designed for the high-end steels Spyderco uses like S30V and VG-10. It comes with a very informative and explanatory manual and video tutorial. I highly recommend it.

Also, $420 for a knife?!? A SureFire knife to boot... :/ I'd suggest shopping elsewhere for more balanced quality/cost ratio.

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

I use basic wet stones and leather strop to sharpen all of my knives. So far it has worked for everything I have, including S30V and 154CM. I've got some M390 and CPM-M4 steel on the way in. I'll let you know how those 2 sharpen.

jag-engr Liberal Hall Monitor

I definitely agree! Get some practice and get the method down, first. If you have to have it sharpened soon, find someone to whom you can mail it (fully insured, both ways) to get it sharpened properly.

Andrews Empty Pockets

I have a Buck Vantage Pro with S30V.
    I put a good hour into the stones trying to sharpen it and didn't get far.
    Eventually I sent it back to Buck and they sharpened it for free.

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Sharpmaker works well for s30v. It is not that much worse than vg10. ZDP-189 is a different story. It is hard to sharpen.

mossyoak Loaded Pockets

i have made all three hair poppin sharp with a Blue/Red DMT diafold. it just takes a little practice.

thenextarcher Loaded Pockets

i think you should pull out the big guns... since s30v is very hard you should... first get a bike and some diamond coated sandpaper... wrap the bikes (back) tire in the sandpaper with it facing outward. Have that wheel off the ground while someone peddles the bike and you grind the knife away. :laugh:

but really i use a lansky ceramic sharpener

echo63 Loaded Pockets

The sharpmaker does an excellent job, providing the blade bwvel isnt too steep
    S30V isnt hard to sharpen, it is just a very hard wear resistant steel. And will take a fair while to touch up.

I will echo what others have said though, get a few cheapies to practice on

Good luck !

jbiz Loaded Pockets

I would also recommend getting a Spyderco Sharpmaker its what I use to sharpen my s30v blade at 30 degrees and it does a phenomenal job. I can get it hair popping sharp in no time at all and its a easy system to use.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Under $9, IMO it is the world's most overlooked blade touch-up tool!
    On ANY steel, only 3-5 gentle strokes on each side & yer done.
    No,it won't work on seriously dull edges.
    (But whyja let it get that dull?) :crackup:
    It works best on harder steels.
    Use gentle strokes; it leaves a slick shiny edge.
    These take up the space of a Sharpie,in any kit.
    JMO,but no self-respecting BOB is complete, without one.
    Enough suspense....and all the old-timer KnifeVultures have guessed it anyway!....:agree:....but here 'tis:

http://www.amazon.com/Nicholson-Rec...f=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=industrial&qid=1309716157&

Now...no excuses....getcha some.