1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Safe to swap trigger on a carry gun?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Curse The Sky, Jan 15, 2014.

Curse The Sky Loaded Pockets

The plastic trigger on my P938 leaves a lot to be desired. The shape isn't great, the serrations make my finger hurt after a while, and overall I just don't like plastic.

I ordered a skeletonized stainless trigger to swap in. As far as I know, it shouldn't affect pull weight or anything of that nature. From a legal perspective, if I ever had to use the gun in self defense, do you think having a custom trigger - but stock trigger pull weight - would be a bad idea? I figured it would be in the same frame of mind as swapping out grips, but I would feel better with some other opinions as well.

Thanks!

paaiyan Loaded Pockets

Shouldn't be a problem at all. You could ask over at Defensive Carry, but I think the general consensus there from what I've seen in my time is even lowering the trigger weight shouldn't be a problem. A competent defense lawyer can counter any "he made it a better killing machine" argument with an argument saying the modifications allow you to fire the gun with more control and safety. As long as you don't go putting Punisher grips on it you're probably fine. Obviously IANAL, YMMV, etc. etc.
    swany66675 likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 EDC Junkie!!!!!

As far as a I know it has never been an issue with the law. Although it does get brought up as one of the things an over zealous prosecutor may go after, that said I have never heard of one doing so. I have thought of changing mine as well and the mainspring housing, but in my case it is more because I like to change things from time to time. If I decided to change the trigger mine will get a trigger job I will set it to match my other carry guns. As it is now it isn't bad, but it isn't great.

Edit: The post above magically appeared as I was responding

paaiyan Loaded Pockets

[IMG]
    • +1 Supporter

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I think it's safe to assume that anything and everything will be used against you should you have to defend yourself with a firearm.
    tacos3, 11C1P, BklynBoy and 1 other person like this.

JohnN Loaded Pockets

This is my take as well and I encourage hanging out on DC, but I will add, make sure the product and the work is safe and reliable. Further make sure you adequately test the updated firearm.

-john
    Renegador and swany66675 like this.

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

this
    if you shoot someone, expect a lot of legal troubles period
    sure, they might mention the trigger, but that'll not be the biggest of your worries
    Renegador and BklynBoy like this.

Dilla Loaded Pockets

I agree with others here on the legal aspects. If you have to use your gun to defend yourself against an attacker, then you will have to defend yourself against his/her family in court. But hey, that's the world we live in. Just don't let that fear stop you from using it if you need to. I have had the pleasure of being sued for doing my job, and while it kept me up at night it also liberated me. It seems to me that you are being responsible in doing the research on what makes the gun work better for you, while maintaining stock pull weights. The easier it is for you to shoot, the easier it is for you NOT to hit someone in the background should you have no choice or time to pick your shot. Great gun by the way.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. So, I can call upon all of you to show up if I ever had to defend myself in court, right? ...Right? ...Guys? *cricket*

:p

In all seriousness, I hope to never have to draw my gun, let alone fire it at someone or something. However, if the situation ever arose, I'd rather not have one more thing to think about if the response was a nearly unanimous "don't do that on a carry gun."
    swany66675 likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

They will attack you in court for everything you did or didn't do and every item you had on your person if you are involved in a shooting. The good news is, you'll be alive to tell your side of the story in court instead of being referred to as the deceased. Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
    Renegador likes this.

patientcero Loaded Pockets

There has never been a documented case that a legally "modified" weapon (ie not a SBR, AOW, or use of NFA equipment without proper licensing, etc.) resulted in a conviction nor a harsher sentence. You either used the gun in self-defense or you didn't.

That's like saying a SIG or Glock are military/LEO style handguns and you are neither, you must be looking for a fight. A normal person would have had a Biden special, double barrel shotgun and only fired in the air to signal for help. No sane man would have a "fighting" pistol like the SIG or Glock in his possession unless he wanted to quench his thirst for blood. It could be argued that brand, color, location, night sights, type of ammunition, amount of ammo in the gun and so on are also arguing points of "don't do it." If you held the gun at an angle when firing in self defense does that now make it a gang related crime because that is how they hold them in rap videos?

Don't let media and internet rumor scare you from doing things that will make you a more accurate or comfortable shooter (within the scope of the law). It could be easily argued every modification was done to improve your aim to minimize the likelihood of missing and hurting a bystander or loved one should you have to utilize your weapon in self-defense.
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Google "Massad Ayoob Trigger Job" and up will pop a good series on the Truth About Guns blog that Ayoob wrote that addressed the trigger issue. He recommends against going with a pull less than what comes from the factory. Ayoob has been an expert witness at trial many times so I tend to trust his advice when it comes to stuff like this.

I'll check it out - keep in mind that this shouldn't modify the trigger pull at all. It's just changing from a plastic trigger to a stainless one.