1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Scottevest?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Dovetail, Nov 25, 2011.

Dovetail Empty Pockets

Does anyone have experience with this company at all? I'm contemplating purchasing, but they're fairly expensive in general. I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to durability, comfort, etc. It definitely looks great to replace a bag at my waist for everyday fall/winter wear...

http://www.scottevest.com

the1stshot Loaded Pockets

I have no personal experience, but have only heard great things about the product and company.

Garland Loaded Pockets

I have one of their cotton hoodies as well as several travel pants. I like them alot, especially the magnetic closures and pocket assortment.

keepbox Loaded Pockets

I have a bunch of their stuff but usually wait until they are on sale. They do have a sale of the day section so bookmark it comes in handy. Some of first jackets and vest I did not like because of material choices but all the newer ones I don't have the problem so one of the jackets I wear it all fall and tshirts I wear all the time. I teach a computer class and use them in the network section as example of Personal Area Network.

pumbaa Banned

robrit13 Loaded Pockets

I bought the combo fleece and outer shell scottevest jacket three years ago. still wear them today. very, very durable. Just took the fleece to Florida on an airplane, and stuffed it complete. Not a big fan of some of their other products but the heavier jackets are useful

CrazyCleave Empty Pockets

I can't say too many nice things. If I were going to try a travel vest again I would definitely try something else. I made one order and got their standard vest and long sleeve "tech" shirt. Here are my chief complaints:

1. I wore the vest five or six days during air travel (no safaris or anything like that) and the polyester lining started tearing out at the seams.)
    2. The whole "personal network" thing is just silly. It takes so much effort to route the headphone cables through the clothing (both vest and shirt) and the only benefit I see is some of the wire is hidden. The downside is that you can't move your iPod/iPhone to another pocket without rerouting the cables and of course you have to wear the shirt or vest to listen.
    3. The advertised itself as having the ability to hold items flat and not look "nerdy" but my wife would look at the floor whenever I out it on. I am not sure this can be blamed on Scottevest, I'm afraid unless you are playing Warcraft in your basement or photographing war on the streets of Tripoli, there is just no way to not look out of place in a vest with fifty pockets.
    4. The shirt should have been advertised as a jacket. The fabric made it unbearably hot to wear indoors anywhere.
    5. The shirt also only got 2-3 days of wear because the snaps would come open anytime I bent or twisted. Very annoying and embarrassing.

Both items and the free baseball hat which was very, very tall on my head like those guys on the bass fishing shows, all went to Goodwill inside of a month.

On a positive note, the benefit of having all hour our junk in the vest and taking it off to run through the scanner instead of emptying pockets, is a real time and hassle saver and almost worth looking like a dork at the airport.
    Motorman and LoneStarJosh like this.

Dovetail Empty Pockets

After reading what y'all wrote here and reading further reviews it seems like each product is either a hit or a miss.....However...All you can do is order one and try it out...I'll just make sure to leave the tags on so I can return it if need be...I'm really leaning towards the http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/cotton-hoodie.shtml Thanks for y'alls input!

flash900 Loaded Pockets

I have the long-sleeved tee-shirt.

Very stylish, but also very light-weight -- not warm enough for a Midwestern winter, IMO.

After several washings, the stitching has started to unravel. Good-looking but seems to need babying.

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

Bought a pair of their flex cargos and was very underwhelmed when they arrived. I sent them back and bought some eotac pants on clearance from ny iron works.

carrot Loaded Pockets

My best friend had a brief stint where he was trying out a lot of SeV clothing to carry all of his toys. He tried the vest and a few of the pants, as well as the shirts. His conclusion: fairly well-designed but quality isn't up to snuff. A shame.

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

I've been buying and wearing SeV clothing for more than five years now. I own a fleece jacket, a pullover wind shirt, a fleece hoodie, travel shorts, packable windbreaker, three t-shirts, a hat, and a pair of their boxers. I've been happy with all of the clothing I've bought from SeV, although most of it was on sale, I've paid full price for very little, if any, of the items I've bought. The SeV clothing isn't what I'd call hard use clothes, I don't wear them to work, thats what my Carhartt and Duluth Trading Co clothes are for. For travel use all the pockets are very handy, and my fleece jacket gets a lot of use, and after 4 or 5 winters now, it is still holding up great.
    Sriracha likes this.

D50boy Loaded Pockets

I have a "Fleece 5.0" jacket. It's alright. Does little for wind.

1ofmany Loaded Pockets

Wow! I thought I'd be the only one on this board to buy from NY Ironworks. They are running some good sales on Eotac stuff.

J4C3 Loaded Pockets

Maybe just add extra pockets to a coat you have thats what i do

hafpit Loaded Pockets

My Scottevest saw extensive usage on a recent trip abroad and is holding up well. I stuffed my p/s camera, passport and boarding pass, Nook ereader, phone, small notebook, sunglases and an extra pair of underpants (ex officio) into the vest for a 10 hour flight, and it did not look overstuffed. On a recent trip to Yosemite I carried my camera and binoculars in the chest pockets, maps in the dump pocket, and trail mix and gloves in the side pockets. I highly recommend the vest, but as they say, your mileage may vary.

GuywithSocks Loaded Pockets

Tactical 4.0 System (discontinued)
    http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tips/SCOTTeVEST-Tactical-4.htm
    I used this the most over the past 5 years and it held up well. However, the weight and bulk was a drag. I just bought an REI Salix jacket on sale; insulated, enough pockets for me, and lightweight.

Cotton Hoodie
    http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/cotton-hoodie.shtml
    Very poor workmanship; I should have returned this. The seams are crooked and it looks cheap. Good thing I bought it on sale.

Cotton T-shirt
    http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Cotton_Tshirt.shtml
    Own two. After washing, the collar and sleeve hems turned into twisted bacon. I don't want to iron my t-shirts!

Tec Shirt (discontinued)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QFpRaWToSI
    I use this pretty frequently, but the pockets on the chest and sleeve are too small. Otherwise, good workmanship and looks.

Ultimately, I would get an REI membership and shop there. If you are not happy, return it anytime. You'll find plenty of products with pockets and there's no buyers remorse...
    • Sponsor MFR

Mark Greenman Loaded Pockets

Scottevest is a great idea, that has been poorly executed.

The design is very clever, but the materials are mediocre, and the aesthetics are lacking. Also, some of the pockets (one on the back, for example) put zippers in very uncomfortable places. I will do a more detailed review later.

In the meantime, maximize your existing pants pockets, or use an EDC bag. Jackets are for looking good and staying warm, not carrying stuff.

Six String Loaded Pockets

Over the past 8 years or so, I've bought just about everything they sell either for myself or for a gift. The quality varies quite a bit from item to item. But, if you're looking for a way to carry a lot of stuff inconspicuously, it's not a bad product. I'm on their mailing list for 1 day specials and I've saved up to 40% on some items. My last purchase was few weeks ago when I picked up their packable windbreaker for 40% off. It's too lightweight to carry a lot of gear in the pockets but I think it's pretty good for the money. If you want high quality outerwear, I'd recommend Patagonia but it's a bit pricey and not a lot of extra built-in storage.

michael k Loaded Pockets

Yeah, the quality is really hit or miss. The design is pretty neat, but at the same time, it's a bit gimmicky.