1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sharpening tools .. techniques and what you carry on you?

Discussion in 'Sharpening Stuff -- Stones, Strops, and Systems' started by BlackBeardActual, Oct 1, 2015.

1. BlackBeardActual

BlackBeardActual Loaded Pockets

Curious to see others portable sharpening devices if you carry, as well as home setup and/or powered equipment for sharpening blades and tools.

Who has a unique technique or gift for forging that factory razors edge? :ninja:

Here's what I work with for touch ups:
    A few diamond rods I carry in bag and some water stones I got for birthday all this year.
    [​IMG]

2. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I just posted this elsewhere, but I throw this little chainsaw/mini DMT sharpening kit in my bag for camping and long hikes through the woods. There's a little silicone pad there that I added to protect the finer grit surfaces during carry, and also to anchor/stick the stone to a flat surface for sharpening. It works quite well on the small Izula, but I've only used the finer stone for touch-up.

[​IMG]

3. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

My belt is made of leather :) this is about as much sharpening equipment I intend to EDC. A Lansky Dogbone for outdoors, perhaps, but stay-on-camp, not on person.

sungame and Gilatabar like this.
  4. Gilatabar
    • The Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

I sometimes have this
    [​IMG]IMG_0478 by Gilatabar Glabu, sur Flickr
    Lansky pocket crock stick. I use it as a sharpmaker.

But most of the time I only have my leather belt and the diamond file on my Charge Tti. But realistically, I don't do many tasks that would drastically dull a knife, and if I ever have to do that, I carry enough knives on me to not have to bother sharpening. One time I hit a stone with the tip of my Sebenza. I reprofiled the tip with the diamond file, sharpened it and stropped it. It wasn't as sharp as the type of edges I can get with my home system, but functionnal enough

Lorenzo likes this.
  5. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Used to use that, too - for kitchen knives and stuff, but then got better with a face grinder.
    Yes, I use a face grinder with a 800 sandpaper on knives and am not really ashamed :p Gives Victorinox kitchen knives a nice aggressive edge.

6. Gilatabar
    • The Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

I should get me one of those, they look rather handy. Or build one myself, we'll see. The worst thing I've done to a knife would probably be sharpening it on a bench grinder with a 36grit stone, then stropped it directly with green compound. That thing had TEETH

Lorenzo likes this.
  7. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

A face grinder is freakingly useful, it's the tool that sees the most use in my workshop. Wood, plastic, metal whatever. And if it's combined with a belt grinder...

And remember, on EDCforums these are not teeth. Those are SERRATIONS !!!

Gilatabar likes this.
  8. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I've got all kinds of stones, from water to oil. Carbide, strops, compounds. Pretty much anything one could imagine except a wicked edge. I keep a spyderco sharpmaker in my truck bag. I sharpen stuff for coworkers, as well as police officers from 37 surrounding counties in my free time at work. The sharpmaker, along with the diamond rods is a good take-along. I have the extra fine rods too, but they're for my knives and my ocd. Any knife I sharpen for someone, is way sharper than they can get it, but it's still not gonna be as sharp as the one in my pocket. I've seen some stupid things done with a knife by some relatively intelligent people. Usually requiring stitches...

My3kidsfather, Lorenzo and JHGM like this.
  9. ahhhgladius

ahhhgladius Loaded Pockets

i have a full set of water stones i use. people usually comment that their knife is sharp enough when i offer to sharpen them. then i show them mine.... it gives me something to do with my time here at the deid.

10. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I have a sharpmaker for portable setup and touch ups, and i have a modified ruxin for making perfect edges and reprofiling. No powered tools for my knives, I use those for chisels and axes.

11. sc00ts

sc00ts Loaded Pockets

My sharpening kit is a small sling bag pack with dmt magnaguide, spyderco sharpmaker with diamond and uf stones, a small phone book, sharpie marker, 30x loupe and two sided strop with black and white compound bars.

I keep a dc4, Spyderco double stuff and two sided strop in my go bag and a lansky dog bone and strop in my lunchbox.

The strops are 4" long and 1" wide made out of paint stir sticks and work glove leather. [​IMG]

Gary Gross and My3kidsfather like this.
  12. NelsonIII
    • +1 Supporter

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

I just put a slight convex on everything now due to the ease of it. Mousepad and sandpaper. Too easy and pretty :censored: sharp.

My3kidsfather likes this.
  13. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

I carry the SOG Keychain sharpener for touch ups. At home I have several water stones, strops, and the Lansky system.

Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

My three smallest hand sharpening tools:

The Victorinox Pocket Knife Sharpener, shape of a pen, stays in my EDC bag and is lightweight and useful. Under the cap is also a ceramic sharpener which you run over the blade edge. The shape also makes it the easiest to use when sharpening my Felco secateurs. Made in Germany.

The Lansky BladeMedic is well made, all steel body, and great all round as a hand sharpening tool for touch ups. It has a tungsten carbide sharpener, a ceramic sharpener, a diamond rod sharpener which is also good for serrated edges, and a serrated ceramic edge sharpener (long white edge) which is great on very small serated edges. Made in China.

The Eze-Lap diamond stone is good for smaller blades and folding blades as well as fish hooks. Made in USA.

[​IMG]

15. The Sixth Beatle

The Sixth Beatle Loaded Pockets

How do you find the Victorinox compared to the Lansky ?
    I've been thinking of getting one (already got a lansky but don't use the carbide "scrapers" only the diamond/ceramic).

Fire Fighter likes this.
  16. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

Both have their place which is why I have both.

The carbide "scrapers" on the Lansky are great for cleaning up a rough edge. No need to set up a sharpening kit or use an edge guide. I used the Lansky on my Magnum Boker Desert Warrior knife to reshape the edge after a camping trip and it was simple and quick. It took 10 actions over the carbide to reshape and clean the edge. The Lansky diamond rod and ceramic sharpeners also works great on kitchen knives. Quick and simple.

The Victorinox works great and I highly recommend it. Weighs 19 grams. You won't be disappointed especially given the price point. I used the ceramic end tonight to finely sharpen the edge on my Magnum, just a test for this post, and it brought it up razor sharp. If I want it any sharper I would have to use a leather strop.
    [​IMG]

Gary Gross and The Sixth Beatle like this.
  17. My3kidsfather

My3kidsfather Loaded Pockets

I was thinking of starting a thread on "What do you use to Sharpen your Knives?" and did a quick search just in case someone had done it recently and found this thread. I gotta make da pictures first then will be back.

Fire Fighter likes this.
  18. sc00ts

sc00ts Loaded Pockets

I just got two of the dmt 4" continuous stones (coarse and fine) and I'm very impressed with them. They seem to cut faster than the diafolds and are better suited to how I hold the stones for stone in hand sharpening. I keep them in a leather slip pouch along with a double stuff. It's a very compact and capable set up for edc.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Same here when it comes to EDC. For longer camping/outdoor trips, I sometimes bring my little Helle portable fine waterstone, but that is just about as much as I ever carry.

At home, I've got a cheap synthetic waterstone (double-sided coarse and fine), an old fashioned scythe stone and a fine translucent Arkansas. I use the Arkansas for touch up, the fine waterstone for sharpening, and the coarse for removing the occasional nicks and rollovers. The scythe stone is mostly used for axes, hatchets, my Borneo parang and sometimes even for the little scythe I use for garden work.

20. My3kidsfather

My3kidsfather Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I find the above diamond sharpener very handy, diamond is especially good for Chrome steel to get an edge going. It has been paracorded to the ASEK knife's sheath for convenience. I do not use the diamond but sparingly as it is very quick to reduce a knife's edge.. You have seen knives that have a lifetime of wear and show it, imagine that in only a few years use if sharpened regularly by diamond. I find it better to get a good aggressive edge going with a diamond then try to maintain that edge as long as possible with a softer stone, a jap waterstone or Arkansas stone- you get the picture.

This above is a knife with me everywhere I go in daily life.