1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Strope / Sharpening Question - Spyderco Sharpmaker

Discussion in 'Sharpening Stuff -- Stones, Strops, and Systems' started by speedy, May 16, 2016.

1. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Strope / Sharpening Question - Spyderco Sharpmaker​

Long time user of the Spyderco Sharpmaker and love it. Mostly only need to sharpen my SAK Trek (NS).

Yesterday after doing my weekly sharpen I had an idea and ran with it which leads to the reason for this post. Using the "white" stone I positioned it in the front-hold that holds it out and up at an angle. Using that I began to strop it quite a few times. When it was said and done it wasn't sharp. I didn't find the edge damaged or anything and since I strop in the direction of the back facing the direction of the motion I don't see how it was dull. I know it was sharp before I did this so that wasn't it.

Wait it gets better. So after finding this result I just proceeded with the Spyderco Sharpmaker steps again and not only it was back to sharpness I found it sharper than ever.

So here is where I am confused. I understand the art of Stropping it nothing more than than to fine tune those edge folds, dents, what have you (pretty much stuff you can't see). I know I did it in the proper direction of the blade what I can't figure out the life of me is how could that have dulled it.

SIDE NOTE NOT RELATED TO THE QUESTION:
    I found while sharpening it I would get caught on some sticky goop on the blade. So I cleaned it with a SOS Brillo Pad this time instead of a sponge. Not only did it clean the blade, but it literally is almost like knew. Has that shine when I first took it out.

2. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

First, a strop is more flexible/forgiving than a stone, such as leather, cloth or cardboard. Using a stone, to achieve that extra level of sharpness, would require using the exact same angle as sharpening and a finer stone, it doesn't matter whether you are pulling or pushing the blade. My bet would be that your stropping actually was at too high an angle, thus removing your edge rather than fine tuning it. Using a stropping motion on leather, there is give/flex in the leather that allows for a less precise angle.
    If you want a finer edge from the sharpmaker, pick up a set of the ultra fine rods and find or make a leather strop.