1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

"Tactical" Pen

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by Cadvan, Oct 21, 2013.

1. runcible68

runcible68 Loaded Pockets

I bought a Benchmade Tactical Pen when the first came out. Stainless steel, very aggressive looking and completely useless. All for $150 back then.

Any pen with a cap you have to remove is a pain in the keister with regards to real world use. The manufacturers like to tell you that if you lend the pen out, but hold on to the cap, the pen will be returned. Yeah, but just clicking a ballpoint tail cap is easier. Can you see a cop taking the cap off a pen and putting it in his pocket? Nope.

So you can go with a Gerber or Surefire Pen, but they're expensive. You lose it and you're out some $$$. And tactical pens are sometimes an issue with the TSA. If it blatantly looks like a weapon, you'll raise some eyebrows. Just get a good Parker. You'll probably only use a pen to write with, not smash window glass or fend off zombies.

I also work in a high risk psychiatric center so I'm more afraid of my uber-cool tactical pen being taken from and used on me. We give the patients special pens and pencils that can't be used as weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Low_Speed

Low_Speed Loaded Pockets

CRKT pens are nice I carry one and it's pretty durable. The price point is around $35 though.

3. Stonerman33
    • The Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I think my favorite tactical pens are the ones that aren't really advertised as being a tactical pen. My absolute favorite was my stainless maxmadco. No cap, great refills (Parker), amazing machining, and could be used as a weapon if it had to be. Also, with you being in a medical environment, it's super easy to sanitize. I parted ways with mine a little while back, but I'm hoping Santa brings me one for Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

4. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Can anyone, a women in particular, recommend a tactical pen for a women with small hands?
    My wife is a petite 61.5 inches tall and has small hands to match. Is there a TAC pen that will fit smaller hands?

Thanks!

5. Stonerman33
    • The Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I'm a guy, with guy hands, but the hinderer investigator pens are quite tiny, and as solid as anything I've handled. They are available right from the forum store. Perhaps someone who has one can post a picture next to something for size reference.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

6. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy Loaded Pockets

Almost any tactical type pen will work well. I have people use the ice pick grip when teaching use, as it works for almost everyone. My daughter is about the same height and petite. She uses the same pen as i do at 72"

Go Seahawks!

7. OldAlleyCat

OldAlleyCat Loaded Pockets

Hey Cadvan, Still want a PHX pen? I have one here on my desk, not used in 4 or 5 months. I collect pens, and have about 20 or so. I will send this one to you if you can give it a good home and use it. It feels left-out! It has both end caps, one with screw slot, and one threaded, so you can post the cap. Just send me your address!

tmedina and Stonerman33 like this.
  8. Xiii
    • The Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

phx pens look cool, cant find them in aussie, I had 2 x tac pens a smith and wesson and uzi both broke Brought them of the internet, turned out were copies. Sent it 1 back to smith and wesson they emailed me that it was a fake. so didnt bother trying to get the uzi fixed, and i really like the Boker tac pens I ll look at geting some next year.
    Xiii

9. sotto2

sotto2 Loaded Pockets

I have a copper anodized Shrade tactical fountain pen I really like. I'm a fountain pen nut, and except for the really stiff nib, it's an excellent fountain pen. Refuses to dry out even after sitting a week or more. Uses standard international cartridges. I just found a place called tacticalwholesalers.com that sells them for only about $20 which is a steal. It also comes with an interchangeable roller ball tip.

10. balder77

balder77 Uber Prepared

[​IMG]Hi.
    Knowing it is high above your price range, I would highly like to recommend the pens of Rick Hinderer.
    Did´n´t someone ask for a photo? Here you are: Extreme Duty Pen in brass.
    First photo, my actual edc, next my Hinderer family.
    But beware, customer service is not the best, asked for some replacement parts, never been answered.
    Regards,
    Chris

11. balder77

balder77 Uber Prepared

[​IMG]Regards,
    Chris

b.s. likes this.