1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Tactical Tailor Removable Operator Pack

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Zoot Allures, Apr 11, 2011.

Zoot Allures Loaded Pockets

I got my Tactical Operator Removable Operator Pack a few weeks ago, I had some time to get accustomed and make some pictures of it.

The Removable Operator Pack (or R.O.P.) belongs to Tactical Tailor's Operator Series, it is aimed to be attached on a tactical vest or an other backpack.
    An other manufacturer build such a pack, a bit more expensive but could be a bargain regarding the build quality that seems famous on US forums (not well known here in France, though): Kifaru E&E.

This bag offer two compartments for an overall volume of 1175 cu. in. (20 liters) that make a nice day pack. The bag sports a third compartment for a 2 or 3 liters hydration bladder.
    Front and sides have MOLLE webbing allowing to carry some more accessories.

Made of 1000 denier Cordura nylon fabric, it is available in 7 colors (ACU, Coyote Brown, Foliage Green, MultiCam®, OD and Ranger Green, Black).

Dimensions:

Main compartment
    H: 410 mm = 16.1"
    L: 230 mm = 9"
    D: 130 mm = 5.12"

Front compartment
    H: 300 mm = 11.8"
    L: 210 = 8.27"
    D: 75 mm = 2.95"

Empty R.O.P. is 1480 g - 3 lb

Let's have a look (click on the pixies to get 1600x1200/300 kb pictures).

OUTSIDE

Except the side zipper of the front compartment, the bag is symmetric each side being equipped the same way.

The top front sports a large velcro pad for your patches and morale, three rows of four loops MOLLE webbing and an adjustable bungee cord.

[IMG]

Man! It's zipper pulls wearing a bag… Heavy-duty they say! These are quite generously dimensioned with 500 lbs paracord. Of course it'll make them easy to grab while wearing gloves or with numb hands (I don't have boxing gloves nor mitten to test further); thanks to these, the quite stiff zippers won't be a fuss to get open and surely never accidentally open (time will tell).
    Music lovers would say it was designed by Erik Satie for it's pear-ish shaped.

[IMG]

The back is padded but not ventilated when worn directly.
    Shoulder straps are ergonomic and quite wide but not really padded. The bottom part is adjustable and the straps are long enough for the hefty of us (make sure to get Web Dominators or a bicycle inner tube piece so it don't flap around).
    Equipped with an elastic strip for hydration hose or communication-gears routing.
    Sternum-strap's height is adjustable on about 6 in./15 cm. D-rings to hook some accessory that get secured under the sternum-strap's slipper so they don't rattle.

[IMG]

INSIDE

No space managing in the front side pouch (Maxped's fan are allowed to whine).
    Its volume don't encroach over the main compartment so its payload will be tight but never crushed (20 lbs cat litter bag test: done).

[IMG]

So, mine is filled up with a Tactical Taylor Monkey Stealth Admin silent counterpart of the Maxpedition MCAPplease watch Roz' video review— (used as light FAK and admin furniture), Maxpedition Janus (for all tools and hard accessories, for it's heavier on the bottom), two glasses cases (reading glasses vertical ready to grab & sunglasses on the top), wallet and coin purse (missing on the pixies). There's enough place to add some maps, copy- or notebook, a little magazine, even a pocket book (not Joyce's Ulysses).

[IMG]

Double zipper-pulled main compartment opens wide. Its inside is lined with orange fabric for ground-aerial rescue marking, I guess.

[IMG]

No space management in there too except two elastic tightened pouches on the bottom side —can hold a 32 oz./1 l. Nalgene though.

[IMG]

Under the upper grab-handle, hydration or radio gear hole lid. We could quibble about the velcro doesn't reach the edge and it sticks up a bit but keep it reachable with gloved hands.

[IMG]

The backside compartment is aimed to store the folded away shoulder straps (kept open with a Spyderco Resilience).

[IMG]

Releasing a second velcro strap grant access to the hydration bladder compartment that will be secured with a ring.

[IMG]

WHAT MAKES THE R.O.P. SPECIAL

As stated on the beginning, this bag can be worn attached on a vest or an other backpack.

So we have to release the shoulder-straps.

[IMG]

Then slip them away in the rear compartment; the ring mountings make things easier but are wide enough they don't twist on your shoulders —well done.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Hide the other half in the slit at the bottom side and tear the second set of male SRB equipped straps.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Voilà!

[IMG]

TT provides four of this removable attachment hardware —4 in./10 cm— to tighten the R.O.P. on its host with their MALICE clips® or any compatible gears.
    Note that TT always ship necessary MALICE clips with their gears, it's not a premium option that costs an eyeball.

These strap sport Quick Attach Surface Mount Buckle which female part can be inserted on the R.O.P. or the host's MOLLE loops depending how you mounted the other one.
    Note there's no "side" on the female part so you can install the male QASMB strap as you need.

[IMG]

See here two males on the upper fixed female buckle, two female buckles on the bottom side of my 5.11 Rush 12.

[IMG]

Upper male go in the upper fixed female on the R.O.P. —not very becoming when not used.

[IMG]

Male QASMB with the female straps.

[IMG]

When all put in place. The second set allows to secure the R.O.P. on bigger backpacks (40+ l.).

[IMG]

CONCLUSION

Choose with discreet tint… black, this bag is really low profile, alike many sport bags and makes it a nice EDC urban/hiking, far less bulky than another so called day pack (like my Rush 12 from now on kept for week-ending outings).

The wide shoulder straps make it comfortable though the minimal padding if reasonably loaded.

The finishing is fairly good even if its don't made like a armored car.

To split hairs, the R.O.P. lacks a velcro pad in the front compartment to stick space managing accessories like Maxped's; anyway there's none on TT catalog while they offer a large choice of different pouches, TT choosing not to subdivide the available room, leaving it to the end user's habits and choice.

Ordered on Tactical Tailor web store, they are fast and friendly answering a mail.
    After spending only a few hours to get clearance by customs, it took less time to travel from Washington to France than it took to make the last 18 miles/30 km to its destination —thanks to La Poste.

Feel free to comment, ask your questions and suggest some English improvements.

A little update. (9-29-2011)
    Since we talked about the possible load in the other ROP thread.
    My daily load in the front pocket distributed as follows:

MSM Stealth Admin: 914 g - 2 lb
    - notepad
    - set of ball & felt pens
    - Leatherman Charge Tti with its bit-sets, extension
    - Nitecore D10 SP w.14500 batt. and headband
    - Buff Dry Cool neckband
    - propane lighter (a Zippo in the pants pocket)

Maxpedition Janus as FAK: 400 g - 14 oz.
    - different fluids (eosin, physiological solution, antibacterial)
    - 2 elastic gauze bandage
    - bunch of gauze swabs
    - assorted bandaids, flat rolled bandaid
    - scissors
    - pair of nitryl gloves

reading glasses in their case
    sunglasses and case (Oakley C-Wire or Crosshair)
    8x20 monocular
    digital camera (Canon ixus 200HS /Elph 300 HS)
    wallet and coin purse
    pack of tissues

I keep the main compartment flat with 4 Grimlocks (as seen in the beginning) and spread it when needed for unforeseen load (books, some shopping etc.).
    These GL can be used to lock anything out of the bag, one or both of the pouches if needed.
    ProjeKtWEREWOLF, Crsdr05 and Jailer like this.

lonewolfranger Loaded Pockets

I just got one of these in black, and use a Monkey Stealth Admin for organizing as well. I love mine. I've used it for day hikes, which is the main purpose I bought it. It fits 3 ltrs. water (camelbak bladder), 1st aid kit, mini binocs, MRE, fixed blade, and a light sweatshirt.
    It keeps me from overpacking and I always have what I need, and I do not notice it after the first 30 min. of wearing it. I cut off the metal zipper tabs and tied some foilage green paracord on for some contrast to find pulls faster. I didn't like the rattling zips. Also put on some web dominators for excess webbing. As you said, not alot of organized space, but a simple pouch is the fix. I don't like alot of things attached to my bag, I prefer to dismount and take out what I need without having to fight the bag and pouch tied together. For longer trips, I use my Spec-Ops pack that will hold 3 days of gear. Great job on your post by the way!

Hi Lone Wolf Ranger,

Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it (always encouraging) :) and for the zipper-pull tips.

I only used it in urban environment until now.
    Since last autumn, I was on the market for replacing an 10 years old ordinary sport backpack.
    Went for a Maxpedition Malaga was a bit disappointed with the one-shoulder strap principle (but not as much as a flaw on it and the bad CS then). Tried the Rush 12, roomy but far too big in city-bus, the subway or in the locker at work.

I think this little ROP will make it for the moment.

ltbarber Loaded Pockets

Thank you for this report! Very informative,and thought provoking.

Thanks Itbarber,

I found later on (but too late) that there's already a review on the EDC bags topic that's nice too (other fabric color, nice pictures) an followed with pretty interesting comments.

milox Loaded Pockets

Great review and info, Thanks.

spoolup Empty Pockets

Also agree on the great review/ photos. I also have this pack, and like above added a stealth admin pouch to it for this and that, fits just fine on the back cover and the shock cord can be routed around it with ease which can still be used later for jackets, or the like. Keep mine packed as the BOB. I also like how its thinner than most other packs in the size so that it fits just fine on our back even when wearing chest harness.

[IMG]
    Motorman likes this.

Thanks Spoolup.

The "small outside but roomy inside" concept make this ROP a nice discreet bag, indeed.

I keep in mind that either the MSM Stealth or the Janus can be attached to the outside if needed: I keep Blackhawk no 5 Speed Clip (38C506BK) on the Stealth and the Janus can be slipped on a shoulder strap.

I'm sure with all your suggestions and my mileage, it'll get some improvements in my settings.

karl_f87 Loaded Pockets

Dimensions

What are the dimensions of the bag?

My bad, I should have mentioned it.

Main compartment
    H: 410 mm = 16.1"
    L: 230 mm = 9"
    D: 130 mm = 5.12"

Front compartment
    H: 300 mm = 11.8"
    L: 210 = 8.27"
    D: 75 mm = 2.95"

DARK-OPS Empty Pockets

Great review, Thanks.

My pleasure.

A little update. Since we talked about the possible load in the other ROP thread.

Empty R.O.P. is 1480 g - 3 lb

My daily load in the front pocket distributed as follows:

MSM Stealth Admin: 914 g - 2 lb
    - notepad
    - set of ball & felt pens
    - Leatherman Charge Tti with its bit-sets, extension
    - Nitecore D10 SP w.14500 batt. and headband
    - Buff Dry Cool neckband
    - propane lighter (a Zippo in the pants pocket)

Maxpedition Janus as FAK: 400 g - 14 oz.
    - different fluids (eosin, physiological solution, antibacterial)
    - 2 elastic gauze bandage
    - bunch of gauze swabs
    - assorted bandaids, flat rolled bandaid
    - scissors
    - pair of nitryl gloves

reading glasses in their case
    sunglasses and case (Oakley C-Wire or Crosshair)
    8x20 monocular
    digital camera (Canon ixus 200HS /Elph 300 HS)
    wallet and coin purse
    pack of tissues

I keep the main compartment flat with 4 Grimlocks (as seen in the beginning) and spread it when needed for unforeseen load (books, some shopping etc.).
    These GL can be used to lock anything out of the bag, one or both of the pouches if needed.

A little anniversary update. :)

As of today, I'm glad of this R.O.P. that served every day since this review: no bad surprise or flaw discovered, still in good condition with my quite cool urban use so far (seems to be fairly tough for more active people).
    Washed it in the the machine, 30°C soft program, let it dry. No watertightness loss for the moment.
    ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Great review. Thanks.
    Does anyone have this and a Maxpedition Typhoon backpack, as they seem similar enough in size to compare?

Jan Jewell Empty Pockets

Hi Zoot,
    Great review... just wondering how you attached the JANUS to the TT Removable Operators Pack?

Hi Jan,

You can slip it on a shoulder strap (I never did), if internal room is needed, there are BlackHawk Speed Clip on it.
    If there is no time to mount it on MOLLE, I can hang it on one of the Grimlocs I use to keep the main compartment compressed.

Jan Jewell Empty Pockets

Thanks for the quick reply! like you I have a lot of my tools and hard accessories in the Janus and I am trying to mount it as close to the bottom of my bag as I can. As the MOLLE webbing on the Janus runs vertical the speed clips will only run through the Velcro at the ends, also webbing on the bag is so centred the Janus sits fairly high.With Grimlocs the Janus flops around. Hope you get what I mean (lol) Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Yeah, I see what you mean.

The solution to hang it outside of the bag is just an alternative for me, it usually is inside.

The MOLLE buckles are in insufficient number of rows on the Janus comparing to the Monkey Stealth Admin, IMHO, to be shure to keep it everywhere you need it.

M_Albert Loaded Pockets

Excellent review! Quite helpful. When I first started looking for an EDC bag not too long ago, I got frustrated with "reviews" that showed much more what the person PUT in the bag, and not close-up details of the BAG itself. So, good review here.

Also, you said "Its inside is lined with orange fabric for ground-aerial rescue marking, I guess." I could be wrong, but I believe the bright color is to improve visibility inside larger compartments like that, a huge compartment that is all black and dark inside, is much easier to loose things in. The bright orange really brightens up the inside.