1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Invisible Stick

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by greenmountainbooks, Oct 6, 2013.

1. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

I carry a knife and a walking stick on my walk, the knife is incase I need to cut something and the stick is for when I need to smack or keep something at a distance. Stick first knife a distance second.

SAKplumber and jeepsrjason like this.
  2. greenmountainbooks

greenmountainbooks Loaded Pockets

Well, it would effectively deter me...from even being on the same street!;)
    Might not deter the local cops from inquiring into where she is constantly playing softball. If she uses it, better :censored: to certain had better be on the way to a known game!

Last edited by greenmountainbooks, Nov 2, 2013
  3. greenmountainbooks

VERY distant in my view. I would have to be in immenent danger of loss of life to use even the 2.5" knife I now carry. In fact, I carry it because it does not look much like a weapon. It is the worst kind of defense and the consequences of using it in the current climate/environment would be horrendous. Have said this in the past and have elaborated on it...perhaps to tedium.

vegassprky likes this.
  4. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

And that current environment of political correctness is what will hang you in court if you are not careful. Like I said in another thread, if they wanted to hang Zimmerman for just shooting someone once, what will happen when you use a knife and the crime scene looks like a butcher shop? A bad guy with a broken arm is not going to generate much sympathy. It would have to be a very extraordinary situation to use a knife and get off scott free. Bash them, but just don't stab them. Crazy, but that's our society.

jeepsrjason and vegassprky like this.
  5. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I had back surgery in July, healing but feel it is time to try out a stick. Just ordered my own elephant cane. Looking forward to it arriving.

Grizz

Cobra 6 Actual and jeepsrjason like this.
  6. greenmountainbooks

They make a good evening or two project. Remember, they come unfinished. The hickory does not take stain well, but a touch brings up the grain. I use spar urethane over it. The quality and weight varies (I have bought a pile as gifts, they never suck, but the weight varies widely), but you pretty much always need to dress up the octagonal flats with a file or a cabinet scraper. A knife you don't care about works too. You may want to alter the shape of the horn, the end of the crook, to facilitate self defense. I don't recommend a sharp point but rather a more innoculous looking shape like the underside of a tea spoon. A sharp point screams weapon.

7. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

Mine arrived Friday! Sanded down, decorated with a little woodburning, and stained this afternoon. Spar urethane tomorrow. Thanks for the info, Can't wait to use it. What do you use for the bottom? Rubber boot?

Grizz

jeepsrjason likes this.
  8. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

I am young and healthy enough to look suspicious carrying a walking stick. if/when that changes, I will definitely prefer something sturdy enough to be a reliable tool and simply designed enough to not upset any security guards. In the meantime, if i'm going someplace where I think I might need a stick for personal safety, I will defend myself by going someplace else where I'm less likely to need a defense stick, or, if that doesn't work for some reason, just use my big wal-mart golf umbrella.

jeepsrjason and gdwtvb like this.
  9. greenmountainbooks

I use a rubber tip only; I taper and round the tip a little, add the tip and that is it. I use no metal as I do not wish to permit a claim of a "loaded stick."
    A friend uses a light brass ferrule under the rubber.

10. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

The stick came out better than I expected. I feel I will probably order some more to play with. I used cherry colored Minwax stain, let it dry 24 hours and then 4 coats of spray Minwax matte Helmsman Spar Urethane. (I sprayed the coats about an hour apart as per directions.) Here's a couple less than great photos.
    [​IMG]
    IMG_3760 by gdwtvb, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_3759 by gdwtvb, on Flickr

I woodburned the symbols. (Elder Futhark runes.) I might try a darker stain next time, or apply it two days in a row before the urethane. (More applications are supposed to darken the wood even more)

Grizz

11. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

That turned out really nice, Grizz.

12. grathlong

grathlong Loaded Pockets

Very nicely said! Most dont realize how strong of a self defense weapon a stick is. It is quite amazing as it can be used to keep attackers at bay while delivering crushing and possibly lethal blow. For most a staff/stick will be more effective than a knife.
    Most people down where I live carry sticks when walking the dog. Part of the culture i guess, but very wise also!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

jeepsrjason and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  13. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Several years ago an injury I had started to act up, so I bought two Invacare crookneck oak canes on ebay for $13 with free shipping. Although the company makes Weight-bearing canes for people with disabilities I really didn't expect much. Well, I finally got better and for a little over the past four years I have used one of those canes in a mixed martial arts class to whomp -- and I do mean WHOMP -- a variety of practice manikins. The cane is still doing fine.

I have also used it on some of my buddies at the dojo who were fully suited up with protective gear. They tell me that it's difficult to get close to me, because of the cane's reach for striking (and hooking). Plus, if they do get close I can make things unpleasant even if they can lay hands on me.

The other cane I use to walk with when my leg still occasionally acts up. As a retired LEO I can and do carry (Glock 27 with a spare mag), and also have a few back ups: situational awareness, cell phone (with experienced lawyer on speed dial), brain in gear, BM 910, many years of martial arts training (I started a long time ago, stopped for awhile and now as noted have been doing four nights a week for over four years).

I have to agree with Greenmountainbooks that a solid crook-neck wood cane, given some training, is a fearsome weapon.

jeepsrjason and gdwtvb like this.
  14. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Crook tops are okay, and they are low profile, but I just couldn't get into carrying them. And I do need a cane on bad days from an old army injury. For the past 30 some years, I've always carried a rustic stick. Either one of the couple of Irish blackthorns in my collection, or one of the ones I've made from American hornbeam or hickory, wioth a root knob handle. The crook top is what I call an old fogy cane, and I'm just too vain to go there. But while I really am a white bearded old fart, and I do need a cane on occasion, there's a method to my madness. I have a very slight limp, and can look pretty normal when walking. But I like a nice rough knarley looking stick to send a message to the ones who matter, the bad guys looking for an easy meal.

I feel the drab looking old fogy cane can send a wrong message, but a knobby rough looking walking stick swinging in the hand will give them a second thought. A stick is a stick in the eyes of the Americans with disabilities act, and I've walked right through airport security and Washington D.C. federal building security with my blackthorn and hornbeam sticks. The only time they have come under any kind of scrutiny at all, is at he airport, they ask if I need assistance when they take my stick to x-ray it to make sure nothing is concealed in it. A couple of times, a TSA guard will comment on 'that's a nice stick" kind of thing. It's a free world, and we all carry what we want, but I don't like to carry an old fogy cane that just may send a wrong message to a hungry wolf. I much prefer a stout blackthorn that looks like you could brain a low life with, but it's still just a stick in the eyes of the law. But to the wolf looking for a meal, it gives a bit of warning. The street punks don't like things that don't fit in their pre worked out senerio. And a potential victim that looks like he's going to give them a fight, will passed up.

jeepsrjason and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  15. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Thank you, Jackknife ... that is one of the reasons I like the crook-neck canes: it sends the message that I'm an old fogey. And, I am, but by underestimating me the 'hungry wolf' is going to get his butt torn up by a real wolf in sheep's clothing.

I have several blackthorn canes and they're nice, too; just not my thing. We don't have to agree ... Plenty of canes and opinions out there.

jeepsrjason likes this.
  16. tm3

tm3 Loaded Pockets

What sanding prep are you all using on the hickory canes (grit, progression, etc)?

The cherry stain looks good as it seems to highlight the grain. Any pics of what a darker stain looks like?

Have you tried tung oil or other oil based finish besides spar urethane?

Thanks

17. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I've only done the one so far. The wood wasn't too bad when I got it so I started and finished with 220 grit. I might go a little higher on the next one but I didn't have anything finer at the time. Hickory is a coarse grained wood, not sure it would be worth the trouble to go too fine.

I considered trying another type of finish, but I am happy with the spar urethane. I'll see how well that is holding up when I get around to doing another.

Grizz

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  18. Talkingstick

Talkingstick Loaded Pockets

Brazos walking sticks has my next addition to my own collection. I think that one
    cannot beat the Free Form Twisted Hickory Hame Top Walking Cane in a defensive walking stick I've done business with these people before, and they are good people....just my own two cents.

Last edited by Talkingstick, Nov 27, 2013
  19. greenmountainbooks

If you fear the appearance of "Old Fogey," it can easily be avoided in situations that seem threatening. Shift your grip from the handle to one-third of the way up the shaft - where it should be for defensive use - angled at about 40 degrees from the vertical) and carry it off the ground, making it apparent it is not orthopedic. People react very nearly instinctively, at least when the guy is as big as me.

Last edited by greenmountainbooks, Nov 27, 2013
  20. greenmountainbooks

I knew a seriously disabled vet (from a training jump, a familiar story) that carried a hame cane. The amount of issues it caused were endless, including one attempt to prohibit his entry into a movie theater ("this is dangerous" said the minimum wage stooge). The AWD act and complaints to the manager eventually got that under control, but not without argument. This is telling. Do you want anything that draws that much attention?
    I doubt you could get a stick with such metal into a courthouse.
    If you love those hame canes, you can get the head off eBay and make your own.
    Also, I find a metal heat distressing in cold weather. I have a brass handled crook/tourist that is uncomfortable in either cold or heat. It also leaves my hand black from the brass.