1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Invisible Stick

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by greenmountainbooks, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Xiii
    • The Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

we need more picks of sticks.
    Xiii

Gary Gross and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  2. greenmountainbooks

greenmountainbooks Loaded Pockets

A stick is a stick only if it is not a "loaded cane" or carried for the purpose of a weapon. Then it is a felony, no matter how orthopedically challenged you are.
    Any stick advertised as a weapon (such as the entire CS line) is a weapon.
    A stick with a large lump of metal (such as the hame' canes) is a weapon unless you can demonstrate a specific need for a lump of metal. (See the note I left about a disabled friend above.) Obviously a fitting from draft horse harness cannot be classified as a necessary orthopedic device. In fact, any lump of metal could be construed as a "loaded cane" in the eyes of the law.
    For that reason, I use no metal at all on my canes, not even a brass ferrule, which could probably pass muster if it was not absurdly heavy.

jeepsrjason and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  3. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Thanks, good tip, Greenmountainbooks. But, on the one point, let me clarify that I don't fear the appearance of being an "Old Fogey". Just the opposite, I use it as 'camouflage' since I appear to be much less able than I am. As TarHeelBrit noted earlier "I'll take invisible any day."

By the way, according to Wictionary the term's etymology is that the phrase came into use in 1811: "an Old Fogey was a nickname for an invalid, wounded soldier; derived from the French word fougueux (fierce or fiery)." Not such a bad thing.

Thanks again for starting this thread.

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Nov 27, 2013
    jeepsrjason likes this.
  4. Talkingstick

Talkingstick Loaded Pockets

I guess we shall certainly see whether or not the brass hame presents a problem. I just ordered it, and when I receive it I will be putting it through it's paces. As I have a collection of canes, the brass hame will certainly find it's place in my collection. Considering it as a loaded cane might be seen as possibly questionable due to the cornucopia of items used in cane grips and handles. The hame provides an ergonomic grip on one end and a wicked pommel when reversed. My understanding of the traditional loaded cane is one where the metal is embedded into the wooden structure. In any event, I find nothing in the Texas Penal Code prohibiting the use of the hame handled cane as constructed. I'll keep you posted as to any problems encountered.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  5. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Wow, I have to admit that we have to agree to disagree on this. I'm at a loss to see how that appearing less able than you are is good camouflage in anything other than making you look like better prey for the predators. I can't see how that is good in any way. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to how appearing more frail or weak on the street is a good camouflage? Unless you are a under cover cop looking to attract an attack, Why would you cultivate a look that makes you look good to a mugger?

Each to there own, I guess.

6. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Short version, Jackknife: the 'being invisible' part works for me. Your mileage may vary.

7. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

This is complete nonsense.

8. Talkingstick

There is no better teacher than experience......Caveat Emptor.........

Last edited by Talkingstick, Nov 28, 2013
  9. tm3

tm3 Loaded Pockets

thanks, good info. i will go with the 220 and either the spar or tung oil.

10. Nick4305
    • The Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm thinking to buy an Unbreakable Umbrella (registered trade mark)... it rains a lot in my country, and a self-defense plus like that could be interesting...
    Nick

11. Talkingstick

The "being invisible part" can be very smart thinking. You walk out of the house dressed in all your bling, and you might as well be wearing a sign "Crackheads Welcome". Dressing down in neutral colors (gray is my favorite) and learning how to move with the herd and spot upcoming trouble before it gets too close can prove to be a real asset. You learn to use your peripheral vision and hone that facility.
    I traveled mass transit for quite some time, and I advocate that practice as being in a classroom on wheels for functioning amongst the "Great Unwashed". At first you feel like Daniel in the lion's den, but after you settle yourself you are provided with a very great number of learning experiences with very practical applications. After a while I got good enough at it that I felt comfortable moving the family using mass transit, you never know when that very need may arise and if it does it's real nice to have everybody on the same page. Having the few opportunities to converse with these people can provide some real insight into their thinking, and you discover that most of the time their objective is the same as yours; moving from point A to point B and arrive in one piece. I found the practice to provide an incredible amount of insight and practical knowledge.

12. sotto2

sotto2 Loaded Pockets

I have a whole bunch of walking sticks, from fancy to Home Depot to home-made. I find my favorite one is a straight length of myrtle (Bay Laurel) that I cut from a fallen tree around here. If they fall just right and still continue to grow, the side shoots from the big branches grow straight up and 6-8 feet long. I found several that were about 1.5-2 inches in diameter that have made great walking sticks/canes. The ends are fat enough that you don't really need a handle. I've either put the standard rubber cane tips on them, or recently I screwed a bronze pipe cap painted black on the end of one. The sidewalk bicycle riders around here give you a very wide berth when you're twirling one of those around on your walk.

jeepsrjason likes this.
  13. greenmountainbooks

Right. Just be careful that the stick you choose is truly stout and unbreakable. It should have enough mass to be used in a wide swing if necessary.

14. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

From where did you purchase yours?

15. greenmountainbooks

0dBm likes this.
  16. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

17. greenmountainbooks

Looks ideal for a day hike hiking staff. The shipping might be prohibitive however. At 5' 6" it is probably longer than anything you can find in Home Depot. If it is used for stock sorting it is probably made of hickory and stout as all get-out. Some are likely to be warped, but if you order a few at once, experience with Enesco shows they are likely to all be useable. That has not been the case with other suppliers. I have had canes come savagely warped with major grain runout. These should be reliable too I would think.

18. greenmountainbooks

Profound reasoning no doubt but the force of your reasoning escapes me. I suspect it escapes most everyone else too.

19. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

Carrying a weapon may be a felony where you are, but it isn't where I am, and quite possibly it isn't where he is, either. I'm quite happy to live where the cows outnumber the people. Just reading posts from people in metro areas makes my skin crawl. I can't even imagine living under the conditions some of you take for granted. Black Friday at WalMart here is less crowded than walking down the street on a sunny day was when I visited D.C. I started to take a cane along on that trip, and after stepping on an uneven stone paver and hurting my foot I really wished I had. I'm pretty sure I'd have ended up in jail for clearing a path through the crowds with it if I had, though.

20. greenmountainbooks

Well, except for some knives, loaded sticks, martial arts devices (like nunchuks) most improvised weapons are not illegal until they are used. As long as a knife is not a prohibited form (size, switchblade, etc.) it is not illegal until it is used. A stick, at least in MA and NY, if it is "loaded" is a class A felony, which puts it in the same category as an illegal pistol. As a side note, batons and nightsticks are in the same category.
    Note well: as others have said here, deniability is the key here. If you carry a Cold Steel stick that is advertised as a weapon that can shatter cinder blocks, than the evidence is clear that you intended to hurt people with it. If you carry a crook handle hickory stick and say that your knee goes out periodically, you are probably good.
    Knives are probably dubious in any case unless so obviously innocuous as to appear harmless, like maybe a Swiss Army knife. I doubt the usefulness of a knife for self defense in any case.
    The key is culpable deniability.
    I can legally carry a pistol in both of the states where I live, but many issues prevent this, including the increasing use of metal detectors and signs in all public buildings prohibiting weapons. If you have a pistol, you can't even enter a post office with it. You can't leave it in the car, so if you choose to carry it, what do you do with it?
    I pick culpable deniability and carry a stick when I am on foot. I usually have one in my vehicle as well.