1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

TOM BIHN

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by TOM BIHN Crew, Nov 8, 2012.

• +1 Supporter

Tixx Loaded Pockets

I would not have bothered to send it back, just would have said, Oops, I only got the one. Sorry for the inconvenience, my mistake. And then gave a nice deal to someone here.
    SAKplumber likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

thePlumbah Meowderator

Yea, really. Here I am a ten minute drive from the airpot Hub, and its probably in the bottom of some can that'll be delivered on Monday. What makes it worse is that they deliver on Saturdays, too! I'm secretly still hoping that it might get delivered today...but its hard to believe since they themselves say Monday.:p
    Fukurai and kd7dvd like this.
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

forestgrump Loaded Pockets

My partner was on the Tom Bihn site last night. Looks like Xmas just got more expensive for me :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SAKplumber and Fukurai like this.
    • +4 Supporter

grayman Loaded Pockets

Brain Bag Question:

If you utilize the Horizontal Brain Cell (specifically the 6T), can you fit anything else in the compartment with it? I'm thinking something like a zippered portfolio?

Also, are than any plans for a TSA checkpoint friendly backpack? As an I.T. Professional, I'm always looking for a better bag to carry the stuff I need. Depending on need, I usually have two or three cases similar to your Snake Charmer with me, Monster Cable Outlets to Go small surge protector, a zippered portfolio so my documents don't get destroyed, then all the "regular stuff" such as pens, highlighters, iPod, headphones, business cards, etc...in addition to my Ultrabook. While I need something that will hold this stuff, I need to be able to stuff more in it the main compartments. As a reference, I'm currently using a Victorinox Big Ben for 17" laptop. Oh, did I mention I'm not small guy so shoulder straps with a lot of adjustment are a big plus.
    • +1 Supporter

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

I also don't see any Tom Bihn ball caps on the site. *gasp* Tell me it ain't so!!!
    SAKplumber likes this.
    • Sponsor MFR

TOM BIHN Crew Loaded Pockets

You will.... (2013)
    • Sponsor MFR

Yes, definitely. A zippered portfolio should fit just fine in one compartment of the Brain Bag, along w/the 6T Horizontal Brain Cell. And as the Brain Bag has two main compartments, you'd still have another compartment to put other stuff in. The two main compartments in the Brain Bag are pretty big. Of course, if you overstuff one compartment, it's going to eat into the space of the other compartment, but you probably guessed that.

Maybe or maybe not on the checkpoint friendly backpack. I'll let you know when I know. :) It's worth noting that, even though the Brain Cell technically isn't checkpoint friendly because it has two mesh pockets on the outside, most customers have found that as long as they don't put anything in those mesh pockets they're able to send their laptop in the Brain Cell through the x-ray machine. You'd still have to unclip it/take it out of the Brain Bag, though.

Everything you listed will easily fit in the Brain Bag. (This photo is a good example of what one can fit in the Brain Bag: Photo) You might also want to look at the Freudian Slip -- one side has pockets for papers/files (your portfolio might even fit in there) and the other has pen and accessory pockets. Something I like to do with the Freudian Slip: when I get to the office, I take it out of my bag and hang it on the wall or on the side of my desk on a hook. Instead of reaching into my bag repeatedly throughout the day, I have the papers/pens/power cables that I need access to right there.

On adjusting the shoulder straps: we cut the lower length of our backpack straps pretty generously just for this very reason.

Last but not least: this video is a nice walk-through of the Brain Bag

SAKplumber likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

thePlumbah Meowderator

Thats an awesome idea!
    • +1 Supporter

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Well I got my Packing Cube backpack right before I left for work so naturally I quickly transferred my gear to this bag. I'm not quite sure what to think just yet. I WILL state however that the Dyneema material is nnnniiiiiiicccceee. I was expecting a little lighter and thinner, like that taffetta stuff but this is much more robust. And the construction is excellent, very tight manufacturing, great job Tom Bihn. And I really like the key clip thing. I'll definetly have to get a few more of them. I can certainly see why the 400D version could be used for exterior fabric. I don't think I will keep this Packing Cube Backpack though. Having it my paws now I see that its not my style... that black/white checkered design - just screams trendy glasses and cardigan sweater wearin' hipster tweeting his blog from his new iPhone. LOL. Don't take it the wrong way, as you can see from my profile pic I'm more of a subdued color bag kinda guy. I was curious about the new fabric so I took the plunge. Oh well. If they ever figure out how to color those Dyneema strands I will be all over it. I may keep it aside, give it way, I don't know yet.

I also got the conifer, olive and navy blue color swatches from them. Conifer is a definite winner. I wanted a color that looks like it belongs on the hiking trail or the city and thats' the one. Doesn't scream tactical but fits in the woods. I may get some pics up tomorrow. I was planning on ordering my Conifer Synapse Wed but are you guys gonna be in that day? And its thanksgiving weekend so it would ship till the following Monday at the earliest. Ugh the AGONY. heheh. Maybe I should see if the have any holday specials before I order.
    billybag likes this.
    • Sponsor MFR

Haha, I appreciate your honesty and I'm glad you know right away that it's not for you: we don't expect every bag (or material in this case) to work for everyone. We want you to end up with a bag you 100% love. Remember that you're also welcome to return it, no questions asked. :)

Glad you like Conifer. Just curious: if you could pick any three colors for us to add, which would they be?

We're here shipping up until 12:30pm PST on Wednesday (and maybe later... it's worth giving us a call) so order anytime between now and then and we'll ship your Synapse out ASAP. After that... we resume shipping on Monday the 26th.

We make this one pretty easy: we never have specials or sales or coupons or anything like that, so no waiting games.
    • +1 Supporter

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for your reply Darcy! If I could add 3 colors it would be a nice earthy coyote brown, a medium-ish gray, and either multicam or ranger green color.

I must say Ive been using the bag all day (stuck at a craft show with my wife - God help me) and its growing on me. Really like the fabric, seems like it would actually be more water resistant than the cordura. Im starting to lean toward keeping it and using it as extra as needed carry capacity. You know, keep it rolled up in my Synapse :) and take it out when a friend or relative inevitably forgets to bring something to carry things in and they will moat certainly ask me what to do...

As soon as I become concious tomorrow Ill check the bank account and order a Synapse :)

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

+1!!!!!!!! Coyote Brown and Ranger Green is necessary.
    TARFU likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

thePlumbah Meowderator

Hello Darcy!
    I got my Synapse and, while its great, I accidentally ordered an extra Cache. I was so back & forth from my shopping cart to the store I missed that I checked a box to include it. Somehow I ordered a seperate one.

I see the return shipping label printed on the bottom of my Sales Receipt, now, so I guess really have only one question. How do I get reimbursed upon your receipt of it?

Edited to add., Thanks but I called you all up, got the info I needed, and shipped it back today. You should be receiving it on Wednesday. :)
    In the meantime...Synapse! yea. I love it
    Last edited by SAKplumber, Nov 20, 2012
    • +1 Supporter

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

To Darcy: Are you hinting that there are more colors coming out soon? as in the next 2 months or so?
    • +1 Supporter

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Just my opinion, but I think threads like these should only be to talk about current products, product suggestions, ideas, opinions of products, etc and not to handle order issues. Just my 2 cents...

Kinda waiting to see what Darcy says about the colors... I have my finger ON the trigger for a conifer synapse, but I'll hold off if new colors are just around the corner. This company seem ethical enough to be straight about that so as not to say something just to get a sale. I like that.... ;)
    • In Omnia Paratus

thePlumbah Meowderator

Just my opinion, but I thought they started this thread as an advertisement of their product and services.

In order not to fill their thread with questions, when they don't answer right away, I have been going back into my post and editing them. Even going so far as to say when I figureded it out myself, without spreading it out like a one sided conversation all over the thread.

It is my opinion, also, that answering questions about return policies, and product issues is is something that any reputable company would want to be transparent in showing on a public forum.

In fact I don't see anything in the OP that states that they wish to speak of everything but handling order issues.

I would think that a separate thread on order issues would be counter productive as it would give the impression that there are many. My order issue was entirely my fault and I asked a question of Darcy not 3 hours after her last post.

I also thought that this comment on their thread would serve as good advertisement for several reasons.
    One, being an example of how user friendly their website, and customer service by phone, really is. I was able to find the information I needed rather easily.
    Two, being that they are available to answer questions about matters that may be of importance to a new client.
    And three, my post, my single post on the matter may be all the information another member, or lurker for that matter, may have needed to know, to keep them from asking the same question later, and possibly all the needed to know before deciding to purchase.

My opinion, is that if they wanted a thread related to only new products, for feedback purposes, they could simply start one that asks for just that in the OP.

So I don't understand why you would say something like that directed at me.

So, on a related note, did you get to order the Synapse in conifer yet. I am looking forward to your opinion on the pack. I really like mine.
    I do have a couple of preferences (not really issues) that I would like to look to solve by another purchase, but I didn't think that this was the place for negative opinions on the Synapse. They are just my preferences and not related to the quality of the bag in any way. So, I guess I should be clearer on that. I would like to be able to carry the bag comfortably by the carry strap, and would have prefered it to be padded like on other TB bags. Also I would like to be able to stand the bag up, but the rounded bottom, while a great design for carry, allows it to roll forward or backward, so that the back or face of the bagcould get dirty. I'm just a little ocd like that.
    Again, not a reflection on the quality at all, which is awesome(!), but more of my preference. And something that could be remedied by purchasing a different bag. I have no decire to return this bag in exchange for another, as I really, really like this bag. Its just about the perfect size for my EDC, too.
    Last edited by SAKplumber, Nov 21, 2012
    • +1 Supporter

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Well OK then! Guess I shouldn't have worried so much about someone elses' post! LOL. Anywho....

Well I did my first mod on the Packing Cube Backpack....replaced the jingly zipper pulls with pull tabs. Ahhh much better. I threw in a couple of other pics for good measure....

You know, I just noticed while browsing the site that the veritcal Freudian Slip would fit in the front pocket of the Packing Cube pack...Hmmmm...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Still wondering if I should order a Synapse now or wait till some other colors come out....Hmmmmm.....
    • In Omnia Paratus

thePlumbah Meowderator

No harm, no foul:)

I was editing my last post when you replied. I was interested to know what you thought of the Synapse. I had asked if you had ordered, but I see now that you haven't. I am interested in your opinion and look forward to seeing it posted.
    • In Omnia Paratus

thePlumbah Meowderator

Whoa, in the front zipper pocket? Or is there a pocket inside too?
    • +1 Supporter

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

Yeah the front pocket there in the pics. Seems like it would fit right in there if you pulled the top part over it. There is no pocket on the inside.

Gonna take a 2 or 3 mile walk and clear my head and think about whether or not to go ahead and purchase the conifer synapse....
    SAKplumber likes this.