1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

True Utility sciXors review

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by adimag, Nov 2, 2011.

adimag Loaded Pockets

Let me start by saying that I did see the youtube video showing that the sciXors were sub-par, but I really like the form factor so much that I broke down and ordered a pair. I found a dealer in Ireland on Ebay selling them for about $11.00 and free shipping, so I bought sciXors. After, I found that unique titanium had them for $7.95 and free shipping.

When they arrived in about 6 days, I opend the package and began testing the sciXors. The video on youtube is spot on. These are the worst pair of scissors I have ever used. Other than regular paper, these will not easily cut anything else. After watching the video, I though, well, paracord would be a little hard for a small pair of scissors to cut. I'm sure th sciXors are more useful that the video shows. They are not! I could not even get them to cut a loose thread from my shirt.

I really wanted these to be better than they actually are. I like the form factor, I like the way the keyring attached to them, and I thought sure, they won't work as well as full sized scissors, but they will be great for EDC.
    However, as neat as they look, save your money. Yes, they can be had for under $10.00, but I can think of a lot better uses for $10.00 than on the True Utility sciXors.

kubolaw Loaded Pockets

Thanks so much for this review. I was also going to disregard that youtube review and order the SciXors since my Micra seems to perform much better than that reviewer's model. But with independent confirmation of the (lack of) performance, I think I'll pass, even though I love the concept.

ATF Loaded Pockets

I appreciate the honest review. I surely won't be picking these up any time soon.
    • +2 Supporter

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mine just arrived. They're pretty :censored: indeed.

I was hoping to solve that by sharpening them properly since I do like the form factor, but after a close inspection it might not be worth my time.

The way the edge is angled is just to straight to be real useful -when compared to regular functioning scissors- and what doesn't help neither is that the blades themselves are pretty thick, so the way it's designed it actually works against itself.

It's seems like it would take quite a bit of filing to get a more useful edge on them. I might still give it a try though, but I don't have a vice here at home so it'll have to wait until I visit someone that has one anyway.

If I ever get to it I will report back here.

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

Are those scissors made by playskool?

mzil Loaded Pockets

Three pairs of top-notch keychain sized scissors I use:

Victorinox Classic SD (Alox if you want skinny and can afford it) SAK
    Leatherman Micra (or similar scissors based mini multitools they make)
    Fiskars Heritage folding scissors

lechuck Loaded Pockets

I had a similar experience - saw the review, heard they were junk, tried them out anyway, found out they were junk. However I'm wondering if sharpening the blades would help - they don't seem very sharp out of the packaging.

JIM Loaded Pockets

Absolute junk. save the money, go to mcdonalds or something..
    SAKplumber and MatBlack like this.
    • Sponsor MFR
    • +4 Supporter
    • +3 Supporter
    • +2 Supporter
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

I tend to find that in general, TU have good ideas for their products but they are implemented against such a cost constraint to stay in line with their target market that they just end up being products that represent their cheap price. It's a shame really.

WrxOwner Loaded Pockets

I wanna like this product. Form and concept looks really good. Is there any way to sharpen this and make it functional? From those who bought them, has anyone tried to sharpen it?
    • In Omnia Paratus

Foster Loaded Pockets

Not really. There is no edge at all, any cutting ability they have is by the shearing action between two square edges running along each other. You could sharpen it just like any other metal, but it would take forever and probably wouldn't be a great result anyway. I had them on the keychain for quite a while for cutting stray beard hairs, but they didn't even work very well for that. You're way better off with a LM Squirt.

Nim Loaded Pockets

Wow what I shame, I've never seen those before but they look amazing (if they worked) I have a small SAK on my keys pretty much just for the scissors.

Rockwell Torrey Loaded Pockets

I feel strange. I don't know whats wrong. I have never felt this way before.

I have read a review and I feel no need to run out and get another piece of equipment.

I know, it happens to us all one day. But I never thought it would happen to me.
    ShadowE and don Roberto like this.

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

You're completely right, bro.
    Got one and never used after the first cut, very disappointing.
    I've got some other items of TU, not exceptional but doing their job, this is surely the worst.
    ATB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared

True Utility created a number of accounts pretending to be satisfied customers after I originally contacted them to try and buy inventory. Perhaps it is a good thing I didn't buy any. Still the shill thing has been out of hand since I started the forum and is one of the reason the forum struggles as much as it does.

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Did it, but unsuccessfully.
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Get a SAK Classic SD instead, scissors on it is awesome.

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Got four...
    MangeD700 likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Or you could get four of them :)

Did i say that the SAK´s scissors is way better than the SciXors.... :)

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

got four Classic, i said ...
    MangeD700 likes this.