1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

TSA Concerns by EDC'ers Overblown?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by TARFU, Jul 17, 2011.

• In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I think so. I did a little internet research before my latest two week trip in the States and there was tons of discussion about things getting confiscated, etc. In my rather tactical looking bag (Maxpedition Jumbo EDC) I packed an empty Nalgene, compact trauma shears, pens, multiple flashlights, batteries, and other miscellaneous small EDC items. Went through screening no problem.

Granted that I wasn't stupid and kept my knifes, multi tool, and ResQMe in my checked baggage but this made me wonder if all the talk about being singled out during screening for packing lots of EDC goodies is way over hyped.

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

It may be a little over hyped, but I think it mainly has to do with "sharp things" which EDC-ers have on them at nearly all times (some type of knife or multi-tool) and is one of the most basic EDC items any of us carry. Even most minimalists EDC some type of sharp object. Granted, I'm sorta surprised the TSA let you keep the trauma shears, but nothing else you had posed any worry. I carry similar items in my Jumbo whenever I fly and have never had a problem.

I flew a couple of weeks ago with carry on bags only, so I was pretty annoyed that I had to leave even my most un-threatening, tiny pocket knives at home. I borrowed a knife once I got to my destination, but still...

henry1 Empty Pockets

The times i have travel i had one person ask me from TSA about the Surefire flashlight ..I said if there smoke in the cabin it will help me get out of the plane ..

randal Loaded Pockets

My carry on is very tactical looking, black T.H.E. Pack with all sorts of pouches and pockets on the outside. And I usually carry a pair of trauma shears with me in my blowout kit. I have never had any problems except for the occasional wanting to test my portable hard drives for explosives (carry two, in a Pelican case). No love lost between me and the TSA but I rarely have had problems.

cj797 Loaded Pockets

I traveled a few weeks ago, and I didn't have an issue at St Louis Lambert or Sarasota, FL. In fact on the way back from Sarasota, I was in Atlanta (didn't have to go thru security again due to connection) but a TSA guy came over to me and asked if he could look at my COVRT18. He said he was thinking about buying one himself, and noticed I had one. I complied and he was very nice. I will be traveling from St Louis to Las Vegas in a few weeks and I plan to take the same setup for a carry on.
    • +2 Supporter

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Who knows, he might be a future EDC'er... :laugh:

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I think it is overblown to an extent, but one sample is definitely not enough to make an accurate decision. There seems to be a lot of discretion on the part of the person you may run into. Also, sometimes the "search" just won't be that thorough. They don't have time to tear through every single carry on bag. There are stories of people still getting through with knives and multi-tools, but that doesn't mean that you should consider those ok.
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I'm convinced they are (based on a threat assessment) looking for IED's now more than sharps. But, I agree with you 100%. I still wouldn't try to carry a knife or multi-tool through security. Not unless you want to see your item show up on eBay the next week.

Bobnotman Loaded Pockets

I flew to Orlando a few months ago, forgot my Leatherman Wave was in my EDC backpack which was used as carryon for the trip. No probes on the way there, but TSA picked it up when x-raying my stuff on the way home. Very nice TSA lady took me aside, asked politely to look thru the bag, pulled out the Wave to my surprise. I explained I had forgotten it was in the bag, she got a mail pak and I filled it out, she had me watch her place it in a "mailbox" looking receptacle, and bingo, 10 days later it arrived at my house unharmed. Granted I was with my wife and 2 young boys, so it was pretty obvious that it was unlikely I had any nasty intentions, but I felt it was a reasonably friendly and harmless interaction. I still think the whole TSA/Airport security thing is :censored:, but that horse is out of the barn...

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I've had to mail a knife back to myself on numerous occasions. Twice for the same SAK (different trips)! :doh:

At the very least, the TSA personnel were polite, if not friendly. Not bad considering I was the one who forgot.

FeebleOldMan Loaded Pockets

I passed through SFO forgetting that I had my full sized shears in my carry-on without any incident. I only realized that I didn't check it in when I reached my transfer at Hong Kong when their security stopped me. They didn't confiscate it though, after I showed them it was part of my FAK. They told me to check the shears in next time. :laugh:

Sharps Loaded Pockets

I carry trauma shears all the time and especially why I fly so I have SOMETHING to cut things with, I've never had a problem. I'm also one of those people who always gets their bag checked....

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

My experience with the TSA is that they are arbitrary, capricious, and rude. There's plenty of evidence showing that they do a very poor job of keeping air travel safe.

DBR Loaded Pockets

The apologists are more troubling than the Thousands Standing Around.

skip0911 Loaded Pockets

Last week in Detroit, the TSA removed a pair of nail clippers with the attached nail file from a bag in front of me. Told the owner that the nail file was a dangerous object. The clippers were every bit of 2" long. I get on my flight and a lady across the isle pulls out her metal knitting needles and starts the "knit one pearl two" for the entire flight. She also had a clear plastic tube full of crochet needles. I thought to myself, a 12" knitting needle could be a tad more dangerous than a 2" nail clipper file.
    Makes you wonder!

Pseudonym Loaded Pockets

Wow...

Honestly, even if the old lady didn't seem very menacing, who's to say someone couldn't steal them from her and hurt someone? After all, the 9/11 guys made do with box cutters.

skip0911 Loaded Pockets

My thoughts exactly.

DBR Loaded Pockets

A very modest weight training program for 6 months and the most basic hand-to-hand combat training would have ended in the same result. The main reason that the September 11, 2001 terrorists were able to succeed was the fact that they bluffed people into compliance. They had mock explosive devices which scared the people into compliance. As far as the people they actually killed, they could have accomplished the same thing with #2 Ticonderoga pencils or their bare hands, the whole box cutter and knife angle is just smoke and mirrors to cover the expenditure of tens of billions of dollars in ridiculous "security" measures. It's an industry and an employment program, like most of our laws nowadays, they are designed as a transfer of wealth from one group of people to another group of people, this one in government.
    nw1911guy likes this.