1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Urban carry holster

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Tromba, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Does anyone have any experience with the urban carry holster?

I am still relatively new to concealed carry. I have been using an inside the waistband holster. I wear it at about 4-5 o clock. It's not particularly comfortable, especially while driving. I am also always self conscious about people seeing the bulge. Especially since I live in the city (anti gun mentality).

Seems like the urban carry holster not only looks way more concealed but also way more comfortable. Just wondering if anyone uses one.

2. jkwithawave

jkwithawave Loaded Pockets

I've seen it in adds and watched the videos on it but would never use one.
    It forces a two handed draw, I want to be able to draw with one hand.
    More concealable? I'm not sure. For me I don't think it would be. Maybe if I were to carry a subcompact.
    More comfortable? Doubtful. You're putting the whole pistol down your pants, albeit in a leather slippy. It may be comfortable standing but it looks like it's going to move around on you when you're moving. Running? No thanks with that thing wracking your thigh or crotch.

Those are my thoughts with no experience with it. I carry IWB around 4-5 as well. I find it an extremely comfortable way to carry. It really does depend on alot though. Body size, body type, holster, belt and last but not least, firearm. All play a part in how one could comfortablely carry.

Out of curiosity, what pistol, holster, and belt are you currently using?

3. jkwithawave

jkwithawave Loaded Pockets

Also, most people are not going to notice the printing of your gun on your hip. You see it because you know it's there. If somebody happens to notice it chances are they're carrying one themselves.

Most people are oblivous.

4. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

No and NO to that system. I am all about new ideas and moving forward but that set up has more negatives than improvements to what is already out there on the market. Being new to CC, it's not uncommon to literally acquire a drawer worth of holsters (keep your receipts!) before you find what works for you. In a year it may change as you decide to carry in a different location, like appendix.

As mentioned we tend to make more out of printing that what is actually being displayed. I have seen plenty of people who didn't notice others open carrying literally in front of them thanks to cellphone and as stated above, just being plain oblivious to the world around them. The other thing to consider is a proper belt, this can make or break the comfort of a holster system as well. One last main piece, personal size/fitness. People are built different and some systems just don't work for them, so again back to trail and error as well as what works with your build. With the car thing, it can have as much to do with you having sport seats as to your build. Some people can not drive with appendix carry but have no other problems with it. Same for the hip carry, and thus some just remove the weapon or holster all together when they drive.

What holster/belt combo are you currently using and for what gun?

5. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

I am using a blackhawk inside the pants holster. No specific gun belt. Just a normal leather belt.

I am carrying a beretta PX4 storm in sub compact. Not the smallest CC I know but I have the full size and I shoot both a lot and am very comfortable and happy with the platform.

I guess its more of a mental barrier to get over with the printing and people noticing. Too much anti gun propaganda around me, it kind of makes me feel ashamed in a way.

6. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Long before this product hit the internet, the Pager Pal was already available to the general public. I used it a few times with an AMT 45 DAO. The Pager Pal fits me better.

7. Frailer

Frailer Loaded Pockets

Before you do anything else I strongly recommend you get a *good* gun belt. The difference in comfort is huge, and you'll likely be less paranoid as well, since the gun will feel much more secure.

Bander124, ScottieG59 and jkwithawave like this.
  8. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

IF i recall correctly that gun is also on the nose heavy side. So that combined with a regular belt may be allowing it to rest away from the body more and possibly move (the holster) more than most. A good gun belt will be super stiff and seem like it would be unbearable at first, but once the weight of your gun is added and a brief break-in you should notice a world of difference. The other thing is pant size, some people need to allow for an extra inch or two in size at the waist or it will cause the gun to dig if they are too tight. Start with the belt upgrade first however, don't change to much to soon. For leather belts I am a fan of crossbreed, my current is going on 5 years strong. Lots of good leather gun belts on the market, try local if possible so the return/exchange hassle is easier if needed. Try as many as possible in the store, take your empty holster to get an idea how it will all work together.

9. ScottieG59

ScottieG59 Loaded Pockets

I primarily carry IWB. Besides a proper gun belt, I jet my pants two sizes larger. Otherwise, things can get very snug. I have a ton of holsters of various types. Like many gun guys, I try many options out. Largely, I use Kydex with leather toward my body. I also often add a pair of suspenders, since the weight can be a pain. In addition to a handgun, I carry an extra magazine or two, a good flashlight, pepper spray, a couple knives, a cell phone, wallet, etc. I do not wear tactical looking clothes and I am normally not concerned with getting discovered, but I am discrete. When properly outfitted, it begins to make less sense to carry smaller handguns. Also, I find part that shows most is the grip.

10. Macgirl

Macgirl Loaded Pockets

No matter what I try I ALWAYS come back to the G-Code INCOG. Full Kydex makes for a smoother draw and the simple design makes carrying in multiple positions easy to do. The clip though, the angle makes the butt lay snug against your body, that's the key. The clip prints more than some but it's always a compromise, clip or butt. Wear plaids too, best way to camouflage any printing!

ocabj, Uzna and Trave1ingEast like this.
  11. greg1174

greg1174 Loaded Pockets

Sorry that I am late to this party. I have purchased and use "occasionally" the urban carry holster. With the right pants it could be comfortable if you're wearing boxers. I carry a P938 in it, which is pretty small, and you can still see the "bulge". I wouldn't consider it any more comfortable than an IWB setup if your pants are a little loose. I have a pocket setup for the P938 and I truly feel that it is significantly more comfortable and shows almost exactly the same.

12. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

It's always going to bulge, be heavy, and less than comfortable. When you're full, bloated, or need to poop you might even notice your concealed firearm more than you typically would.

All that said, I don't like the idea of the Urban Carry holster's design. I really don't think it would be more comfortable or concealed. IWB or OWB doesn't work well with fitted garments. You'll likely have to let your belt out a hole at minimum for IWB and perhaps even tighten in a hole with OWB.

I've been carrying concealed for 12 years, and what I've come to realize is that it sucks. Pocket carry sucks in its own way. There's no perfect holster.

My suggested options; keep your pants and lose weight or get bigger pants for IWB. Or, learn to love vests, sport coats, and other cover layers for OWB. If you like to tuck your shirt in, as I do you're out of luck. I also don't wear hoodies, sweatshirts, etc. Having said all this, a .380 pocket gun is my go to concealment handgun, and I've long learned to be aware and avoid a fight. I really consider my .380 either an up close or contact shot for the neck or face or a distraction/diversionary stimulus.

13. ocabj

ocabj Loaded Pockets

+1 on the INCOG. I have a few of them. The single clip version will be quite versatile and allow you to adjust placement pretty easily / on the fly. The original two clip design may be desirable if you run a compact as opposed to a sub-compact.

I have switched to appendix carry, though. I used to run at 4 - 5 o'clock with an MTAC (which I still have), but I pretty much have to wear a loose shirt or light jacket to not print.

14. masiaka

masiaka Loaded Pockets

I posted this review after being gifted an original Urban Carry.
    https://edcforums.com/threads/review-urban-carry-total-concealment-holster.132654/#post-2509553

Small update: I bought a P938 and have been carrying it in that holster a lot, usually when I need deeper concealment than usual. It just took some practice to present the gun in a safe manner. I also lost 55 lb and started carrying at appendix because my guns started digging into my now-bony waist. I've learned that being skinny helps with AIWB, but less so with the Urban Carry than with other holsters that ride higher. This Christmas, I was gifted the 2.0 in the next size up and have been carrying my 1911 in it. The update is well worth buying. It's my favorite holster, now. No disadvantage in speed compared with an Alien Gear IWB at appendix or 3:00, I've checked.