1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Warmest, Thinnest Gloves Available

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by TARFU, Jul 13, 2012.

• In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Looking for a pair of gloves that are relatively thin so you can handle things effectively but can still keep the hands warm when temperatures dip below freezing. I've tried a couple of pairs of polartec gloves but my fingers get cold. Any thoughts?

T.H.Cone EDC Junkie!!!!!

This old thread my help. As an all day everyday glove wearer, my only input is that the more dexterity you have the less warmth you can expect. I find the trick is to move as fast a possible to generate core heat, cowboy up as much as possible ("cold" is a state of mind right up to the point where hypothermia or frostbite happens.:cold: Wow, finally go to use the freezing smilie!), or layer up to the point that performance and production suffer.

For what it is worth, I use these gloves form Gempler's 98% of the time and while not toasty warm, I manage to be relatively comfortable below freezing as long as I'm not wet, touching metal, or need to be layered up like the little brother in Christmas Story.
    Sriracha likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I use north face glove liners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Administrator
    • +4 Supporter

xbanker Ad Hoc Admin

Seirus All-Weather Gloves @ REI ... or ... have you considered a two-layer approach? Decent glove liners coupled with a pair of good mittens that you can quickly pull off when you need the dexterity the glove liners allow (unless your usage conditions demand constant dexterity).

ChopperCFI Loaded Pockets

I use the Hatch Winter Patrol gloves. I wanted leather, somewhat dressy gloves that were thin, but warm. It's the only glove I wear in the winter, even when outside for a few hours with temps below freezing. I even ski in them in all but sub-zero(F) conditions. They do get wet in a snowball fight though.

Hatch has a couple other winter gloves you might want to look at also.

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

I've heard that if you can keep the blood going to your hands very warm, you can operate gloveless, or in fingerless gloves, in surprising comfort. I'm not sure about any specific products I can recommend, but I specifically remember hearing about electrically heated arm warmers. You might try some slightly less extreme option first.

Scrub Loaded Pockets

I like the thin smartwool liner gloves, they fit really well and pop into a pocket easily.

amdmaxx Loaded Pockets

I like Manzella gloves..
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

I have a pair of fleece northface gloves which I like. Nice fit, thin-ish

jay67son Loaded Pockets

i like my Under Armour Hurlock Glove but if you hands get cold in polartech these may not work for you.

a175 Loaded Pockets

I usually have a problem with gloves. My finger length and hand size don't really match up to the average sizes on most gloves. I hate cold, numb hands...but I'll freeze them rather than not be able to use them. Every warm glove I was issued was far too bulky or ill-fitting to actually be able to use my hands. I eventually found some gloves made by OR/Massif. They are fire-retardant, reasonably warm, fit well, and I could actually USE my hands/fingers and manipulate my weapons and equipment. They have many styles, just do a google search. They are not cheap at all, though. I think I remember paying about $120 shipped to an APO for mine. Customer service was top notch. It was worth the money for me, not wearing some old nomex flight gloves and pretending they insulated me from the snow.
    Good luck with your search.

beast EDC Junkie

Mechanix Covert!

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I have the same issue - my fingers are very long and I find it hard to get gloves that fit properly.

I finally found a pair of Columbia brand gloves in the local outdoor shop's bargain bin.
    I finally have some nice thin warm fleecy gloves for shooting sport during winter

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

Hah. I have the opposite issue. My hands are overall thick and hammy, and broad too. I wouldn't say my fingers are all that short absolutely, but relative to their thickness they're positively stubby. Basically, if a glove will fit around my knuckles, the fingers will surely not be snug to the fingertips.

DisrupTer911 Loaded Pockets

Revi138 Loaded Pockets

I seem to have disproportionately short pinkies as compared to the rest of the world so I tend to wear fingerless gloves and just deal with it. If its truly too cold, I go fingered and face the annoyance of a flappy digit like a man.

That said, even then it's only some wool lined leather driving gloves as I love the cold :)

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

You are a sick, sick man. My kid has the same disorder.

I seem to have a collection of heavily insulated gloves that I never wear. The ones I do wear are mechanics type gloves. Thin but sufficient for my needs. They're a good balance between dexterity and insulation. Any heavier and I'm always taking them off to do things which defeats the purpose.

Revi138 Loaded Pockets

My doctor agrees with you. I have a hatred of all things summery too, so he's referred me for psychiatric evaluation, telling me he thinks I have a bizarre, psychological inverse of SAD. That was pleasant...

KG2V Loaded Pockets

I too detest hot weather, but it seems I have a touch of Raynaud's Disease - my hands actually get painful when cold. They are fine, even in the cold, they they 'click', and the outer edges/pinkies HURT - they don't feel cold, the get painful - the rest of the hand can actually be warm!

Koala3 Loaded Pockets

I much prefer the colder times of the year than summer, it's miserable heat in Louisiana. But for the cold and working in a dealership I found putting a size up of latex glove from what I normally wear over a knit glove does wonders, as does the opposite when outside of work.