1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

What's the smallest Bark River you would use to baton wood?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Crco, Mar 11, 2011.

Crco Loaded Pockets

I'm a big fan of the Bark River line - especially their bushcrafting line. I have an Aurora and it is truly an elite bushcrafting knife. Having had experience with the Golok and Clax, I also give them 2 thumbs up. And that, my friends, is the full extent of experience I've had with the Bark Rivers. Keep in mind, I do a lot of batoning in both boreal and temperate woodlands regions. And all 3 of those Bark Rivers are either medium or large in size.

That said, I'd like to pick up the smallest Bark River knife I can find ... that can still effectively baton wood if need be.

Yeah, I know ... small knives should not be performing that task on a consistent basis. But I would like to be able to have that versatility if the situation warrants it. This is really an inquiry involving stress threshholds - as smaller knives typically have problems with batoning stress on their weaker tang infrastructure. Still, I want a Bark River that is as small in footprint as possible. Both for weight and loadbearing-space reasons.

Any suggestions and/or testimonials from you folks? Thanks!
    • Administrator

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Micro TUSK! The blade is almost as thick as Gunny's, so it can certainly take the stress. However, it's kinda short for batoning.

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

I would look at the newly released mini Fox River. Looks like a lot of knife in relatively small package.

hest Loaded Pockets

I'm edc'ing the small Pro Scalpel (love it!!!) and have batoned wood with it: splitting boards up to 2in and cross-cutting branches up to like 2.5in (obviously they're thicker than the cutting edge is long, so you go at them from different sides and then break them). Knife is a tough little bastard, careful about the tip tho. They have a new model that's called Little Carver in 3V steel with a slightly longer blade which seems like a great small EDC fixed blade to me. The Micro TUSK was my second choice after the Pro Scalpel, it's even smaller, which might or might not be what you are looking for (somehow to me Barkies always seem smaller in the hand than they look in the pictures - and I don't have big hands).

If you want something really tough, go for the PSK, because it basically has no tip and is sturdy as hell. Personally, for something really functional, I now stay away from hunter/skinner type blades and get something with a proper tip: little carver, pro scalpel, micro tusk etc.

Hope this helps.

PS: just remembered that the other day I split a board batoning the scalpel with a hammer (gently). So much for what one should or should not do with a knife.

Crco Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the ideas, folks. I'll go read up on each of the ones you mentioned. I'll check YouTube videos too, so I can see them in use.