1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite Self Defense weapon for home? --no guns

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by Shelby, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Shelby

Shelby Empty Pockets

I'm looking for a self defense weapon to keep at home (that is not a gun or pepper spray). I will not carry it on me outside of home so size and weight is not an issue. Cold Steel makes Katanas (short 13" swords) but they're pretty expensive at around $200. Their long swords look appealing but I won't kid myself into thinking I can handle a 30+" blade effectively.

I'd rather this self defense weapon I'm looking for be a long blade versus impact weapon (baton, louisville slugger, etc.) unless you can convince me otherwise. I don't mind spending the $200 or so for a 13" Cold Steel Katana if it really is worth it over something like a $50 10" Ontario sp10. What would you choose?

2. knifeguy

knifeguy Loaded Pockets

docer likes this.
  3. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

This may be interesting to you. It's a multi-tasker, and what reach! Or you could just get a shotgun.

4. Widerstand

Widerstand Empty Pockets

I have a Cold Steel Brooklyn Smasher that lives near the front door and they are cheap enough to buy two or three and keep them in different places.

5. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

mine's a telescopic baton (usually use it when doing "patrols" outside the house, but inside the residential gate, at night)
    backup would be various kitchen knives found on the kitchen, and a folding tanto pocket knife on my room.

6. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

you should keep in mind that blade weapons require skill and training to use effectively.

jeffmcc likes this.
  7. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I'm not really an expert on the subject of swords, but what I've gleaned from people who are is, that pretty much all modern production swords are wall-hangers, some are just prettier and pricier than others. Even if they are made of good steel, they are too heavy and improperly balanced. And if you try to buy one of the better ones, one that is a real sword, well, for $200 they might let you look at it. I could be wrong, though. And a katana would no doubt still look intimidating, if you have time to display it.

Me, I just keep a sturdy, 80 cm crowbar in a closet that's next to the bed. Sometimes there's much to be said for "improvised" weapons.

SAKplumber likes this.
  8. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

9. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Was going to suggest something like a crowbar.

If you need to go sword, the Gladius and shield combo conquered the known world.

A short sturdy spear is a great choice too.

10. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Mines simple, a 4-D cell maglite, on a fork hook that holds it in the up-right position, works in two ways, easy to grab, and that since its held in the up-right position, when no power it lights up the enterence way,,, JR

FACE, Ronin87 and thePlumbah like this.
  11. horizon

horizon Empty Pockets

I've got a Smith and Wesson HRT boot knife (link) that I've been quite pleased with that stays near the bed, then a 20" steel crowbar near one door. I like improvised weapons, or regular items that double as weapons - you may want to look into Irish walking sticks, or take the classic route - a nice hardwood (Ash, typically) baseball bat can be had for under $40 at your local sporting goods store, normally.

12. celler

celler Loaded Pockets

There is another good reason to stay with "classic" household-type weapons and avoid the Japanese swords and medieval fantasy blades. After the physical battle is over, then the legal battle begins. There are a lot of over-zealous prosecutors out there who don't believe that you have the right to defend yourself. A guy with a baseball bat or a shovel is a much less enticing target than the guy who is on the front page of the local newspaper because he killed an intruder with some unique weapon that most people can't pronounce or spell. Of course, there is always the old axiom, its better to be judged by twelve than carried by six, but why make yourself a target. YMMV.

13. conquer88

conquer88 Loaded Pockets

emerson karambit. If any1 enter my house i wil cut his head

14. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

golf clubs by the door work well

15. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Or bicycle handle bar have a few of those laying around. And crank sets

16. Andromitto

Andromitto Loaded Pockets

16 inch collapsible ASP baton, for something innocuous a rolled up magazine can actually inflict a tremendous amount of damage, thanks to Jason Bourne for that one. If I had the time to get it, my Practical Plus Katana from Paul Chen would be an obvious choice... if not vicious

17. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

200 lb rottweiler. With a toothache.

18. fallow

fallow Loaded Pockets

spyderco civilian, and I hope it never makes it out of the bedside table.

19. DoggyDaddy

DoggyDaddy Empty Pockets

Six territorial German Shepherd Dogs ;)

Ethan459625, Ronin87 and Xiii like this.
  20. WARFIST
    • +4 Supporter

WARFIST Banned

alpha innovations jaw jacker knuckle dusters