1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Where to buy lanyard beads?

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by thefrank, Jan 17, 2013.

thefrank Loaded Pockets

I m looking for some lanyard beads, nice simple stuff, no tritium, no skulls... I have seen quite a few nice ones but (unlike for tools) I'm not really willing to pay $30 and more for a metal bead. And shipping costs are of course also an issue! ($15 for the bead and $15 for shipping it to Canada is still $30...)

I'm looking forward to suggestions!
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Beads made for Pandora bracelets fits a pair gutted 550 paracord or a single whole strand just fine. Options ranging for a few dollars in glass up through sterling silver and 14k gold.

doktorziplok Loaded Pockets

• In Omnia Paratus

Matt130 Loaded Pockets

I just use threaded inserts, I put one on my Vic alox cadet the other day and I think it looks great. You can get 10 brass ones for a few dollars. They may not be titanium or made by a famous designer, but if you are looking for cheap, these are hard to beat.

[IMG]
    • Administrator
    • +4 Supporter

xbanker Ad Hoc Admin

thefrank Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the ideas! I really like the simple hardware store idea, especially those collar shafts with set screws are really cool! I went already to Canadian Tire and the Home Hardware but they dont have them. Now I m looking online and they are very easy and cheap to get in the US but apparently not in Canada. I guess for normal paracord I need something like 1/8 or 1/16? Any ideas where I could find that stuff in Canada?

shmook Loaded Pockets

eBay is good. I got cheap metal skull beads there for pennies :)
    • In Omnia Paratus

Matt130 Loaded Pockets

I think the brass inserts I got were 3/8, It was a really tight fit getting the paracord through, so maybe go a size up.I got them from Amazon, so you might want to check there. I am surprised none of the stores you checked have them. They are usually pretty common.

Also try stainless or aluminum spacers

thefrank Loaded Pockets

I know! I saw a lot of pretty awesome looking skulls out there. Unfortunately skulls are not exactly the style I had in mind for my lanyard.

Amazon.ca is unfortunately not so well equipped but I finally found an online shop for those collar shafts! Are you sure about the size? 3/8 is 0.375 inch, that sounds awefully large for a pair of 550 paracord? From what I have seen most lanyard beads seem to be rather in the range of 3/16 to 1/4...
    • In Omnia Paratus

Matt130 Loaded Pockets

I'm not 100% percent sure. The ones I have say .500 length, but the size isn't really clear. Just get what you normally would. I just bought a 2 different sizes on Amazon and returned the ones that didn't fit. Maybe 3/8 is the outer diameter? The package is E-Z LOK 400-M6, Internal Thread: M6-1.0 Drill 3/8.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Matt130 Loaded Pockets

I just looked at a few beads online and it looks like the average hole diameter for lanyard beads is 3/16

thefrank Loaded Pockets

Thanks for taking the time! I also found most beads to come in 3/16 but somewhere it said that 3/16 is for a pair of gutted 550 paracord, 1/4 for un-gutted. I'll order 1/4 for now and let you know how it works for me!
    • In Omnia Paratus

Matt130 Loaded Pockets

Sounds good!

thefrank Loaded Pockets

OK, some feedback just in case anyone is interested:

I got collar shafts with a hole diameter of 1/4. They fit very nicely around a pair of 550 paracord in case you like your "beads" to slide smoothly over the lanyard. Unfortunately the set screws are pretty useless at this size! If you want to use them to fix the collar shafts on the paracord then I would suggest you try them a little bit smaller, probably 3/16.