1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Where to Find Gaffer's Tape

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by jag-engr, Jan 8, 2009.

jag-engr Liberal Hall Monitor

I have long rejected the idea of a duct tape wallet because of the sticky residue that duct tape will leave. However, in my quest for the perfect wallet I fear that I will have to turn to DIY measures and a tape wallet can be assembled easily for a prototype. One forumite recently suggested using gaffers tape over tyvek to keep it from wearing out. I looked into gaffer's tape, and it sounds like an ideal material for such a task. Unfortunately, no one ath the local hardware stores seems to know what it is.
    Are there any nationwide hardware or retail chains taht stock gaffer's tape? :shrug:

Here are some of the chains in my area:
    Advanced Auto Parts
    AutoZone
    Home Depot (every department swears they don't have it)
    Lowe's
    Micheal's
    O'Reilly's
    Sam's Club
    Target
    Walmart

I'm open to other suggestions, but we don't have a Costco anywhere around here.

yam350 Loaded Pockets

I can't believe Home Depot doesn't have it. 3M are one of the biggest manufacturers, I should think their website will tell you your nearest supplier.

DSC Banned

I have never seen gaffer's tape for sale at any local store or anywhere like Lowe's, HD, etc. I have to order it.

jleedc Loaded Pockets

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

You'd be looking for 3M #6910. Also try a True Value Hardware or Office Depot.

mrichelo Loaded Pockets

jag-engr Liberal Hall Monitor

They may actually have it. I was transferred to several different departments before a guy in plumbing (for whom I spelled the word very slowly three times) told me that he'd never heard of the stuff, but he recommended duct tape.

THank you everyone for your responses.

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Just can't get the quality of staff nowadays, eh?

SarGeek Empty Pockets

Gaffers tape is somewhat specialized stuff...more expensive than duct tape so most people that don't know the gospel of gaff won't pay more for it. Try a theatre staging/lighting/or sound shop. Any decent production oriented AV shop would have it. Home AV places might have a little but most likely don't sell it as they would use it occasionally during installations but not as often as the production side. Most of the time when I needed it I would order online. There was a small independently run shop in my area that carried it but the store was not a chain.
    I did a quick search on yellowpages.com for AV in Arkansas and there were a number of hits which sounded promising. Good luck.
    nimbustle likes this.

dwrd Empty Pockets

Look at your local music or lighting stores such as Guitar Center. Living in Nashville, there are quite a few music industry related stores where I get mine at. I would try to find it online to order, as it isn't cheap. My last roll local cost me right under 20 bucks, but once you use it, it is hard to go back.
  1. I haven't looked into how the price compares, but they have it at Paragear.com, a skydive supply company.

yam350 Loaded Pockets

`Rescue TapeĀ“sounds exactly like the stuff we call Self Amalgamating Tape in the UK, I know it is sold in Home Depot over there 'cos I have bought it there. When I lived in Sacramento my mate had an ancient IIA Landrover and the water hoses were all soft, so we carried s.a.t. as a back up. If you have a hose go, all you have to do is make sure it's dry and wrap about three layers around, give it 10-15 mins to start to amalgamate, fill up with water and go. I always have some kicking around in whatever vehicle I have. Have also used it on liquid cooled bikes. Good to make a comfort grip on skinny screwdriver handles etc etc.Probably cheaper in Home Depot too.
    I have just remembered, if you want really tough tape( expensive) go to a chandlery and ask for sail repair tape, good stuff!
  2. It's good to know about these kinds of tape!

It reminds me of knots. Most people (and I was 22 before I stopped being one) know of only a handful of knots EVER. Now I can easily tie between 40 and 50 different knots just from memory alone. (I once wrote all that I could think of on some stickit notes in the course of about an hour and it was in the 40s...)

In the same way, I would never have heard of these different kinds of tape except for coming here. (Gaffer tape is something that skydivers introduced me to. They use it on gear sometimes, and that's why I linked to a skydive supply company.)

yam350 Loaded Pockets

My dad has always told me you learn something new every day, On this forum that's certainly true.
    There are so many products out there you can't possibly know them all so I love it when some-one tells me about something that may get me out of trouble and make my life a little easier.
  3. ...or more fun and interesting! :D

John Frederick Empty Pockets

Sounds like X-treme Tape. I used some on a leaking PVC joint and it worked fine. The only thing is it seems to stick to itself and not so much to what you tape. I need to experiment some more with it but at .65 per foot + S&H I've been saving mine for emergencies.

yam350 Loaded Pockets

By the way, self amalgamating ( rescue tape) is the best thing for sealing a survival kit tin or anything similar that you want to keep weather proof long term.

John Frederick Empty Pockets

Great point! Thanks for the idea. :)