1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Apple's new product line-up, questions

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Locomoco, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

Okay this thread is for the long-term mac users out there.

So Apple just released last week their new lineup for laptops and there's been some changes.

The 11in Macbook Air is now a casualty as well as new series of Macbook Pro's with that touch strip on the keyboard.

Specifically what this means is you should grab an 11in Macbook air or the older Macbook Pros while they are still in stock.

Anybody know if Apple ever lowers the price on their obsolete old-stock laptops in order to eliminate inventory or do they just sell it at the regular price until they sell out?

I tell you though, Apple staff are weird. It's almost like a cult. I've gotten so much hostility from asking these kinds of questions at the stores it's like, "what gives?" Do they realize they're selling electronic devices, not some kind of life-changing religious device.

UmbertoTortallini likes this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Of course you can find Apple stuff discounted although where and how much depends on where you are?

Where are you?????

Apple has a Refurb Section right off the main page of the web site where they sell Refurbs and discontinued models and the stock changes constantly and I mean if you look there every 15 minutes it can change all the time so just looking there once or once a day or once an hour might not be enough if you want the deal.

I have bought probably 100 of the refurbs and they appear exactly as new,never had any issue with even one of them but if you do Apple service is pretty amazing too,have no fear buying a Refurb there!

AppleInsider and MacRumors have lists daily of the places to get the best deals and they are often pretty decent.

Every place that sells Apple has discounts on certain models so like anything else you just need to shop around hard to find the best deals.

I just bought a 12" Macbook a few weeks ago cheap and although they did also kill that model I got mine so cheap that I am still pretty happy overall.
    I am surprised that they did away with the smaller models but they sell what sells and kill the rest.

There are a whole lot of manufacturers of Windows machines but only 1 that make Apple so they do things a little differently for sure.

I need to carry both Windows and Mac every day in the field and the fact that I can carry a 2lb machine with me that will run both pretty seamlessly is enough to give me a little religion!

Last edited by EZDog, Nov 4, 2016
    TKC and WillAdams like this.
  3. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

For most folks, an older Macbook pro or air will more than suffice. I rarely carry my 2011 Macbook, relying instead on my company windows laptop and a iPad Pro for travel. My Macbook with 8 GB of memory still runs great. Last year I swapped out the spinning disk for SSD storage which made it feel like a new machine. If I needed to carry a Macbook again I would not hesitate getting a used or refurbished Macbook Pro or Air

WillAdams likes this.
  4. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

EZDog Are you sure Apple binned the 12" MacBook? I didn't take too much notice as not needing a new laptop but it's still very much on the website and was tweaked not so long ago.

EZDog likes this.
  5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well I looked all over for it and found nada the other day?

I love the thing though and it is so crazy light and thin it should work fine for me mostly and it is not my only or even primary Macbook.

EDIT:
    Ok I just looked again and BAM! it seems they did not kill it!
    Not sure how I feel now but I think I am happy?
    It is a great little machine and mine was so cheap I am thrilled still as I said!

Good Catch!

DeepBlue likes this.
  6. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I'm quite happy as I have one too and it's my primary travelling / on-site PC because it fits inside my Tom Bhin Co-Pilot bag - which a 13" MacBook Pro won't. So light it's never a load.

EZDog likes this.
  7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Its funny I have actually not realized that I was carrying it at times!
    I carry mine mainly in the Hazard4 Kaito mostly but also the Pilot & Co-Pilot as needed,it is so small that it almost does not work in traditional carry options!

DeepBlue likes this.
  8. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

For the OP, I guess (seeing as the Macbook 12" is still around) as long time Apple users, I'd recommend looking at that. It's better and lighter than the 11" MacBook Air. It packs a lot more punch that it's sometimes given credit for and the single USB-C port is not really a big deal. I do carry a tiny USB hub but rarely use it except for accessing a (tiny) 1Tb Samsung SSD.

One thing really going for it, that is rarely mentioned, is that the power supply is tiny, barely bigger than an iPad charger. If that is still too big it can be charged from a USB 5V (2.1/2.4A) supply. I recently spent 3 weeks off-grid in Africa just charging it mainly from a car cigarette socket using a small USB adapter. That also means that you can charge it from any portable power pack.

9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't disagree but I also really LOVE my 11" Air which was the original model that was first introduced and even with 2g of Ram it did everything that I needed in a maximum portable machine for me.

If he is willing to buy used I think you can get nice 11" Airs under $500 around here where the 12" wold be twice that or more.

Either way it is hard to go wrong with almost any Mac Hardware.

10. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I am no hurry to upgrade until Apple simplifies the connectors between their devices. I am not buying an adapter to connect my iphone to a new product. Apple just released the last iphone with a lightning connector. The mac book should have had a lightning connector.

My rant is over.

Donald Hamilton likes this.
  11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Apple has never made an endpoint device like the phone since the Firewire devices with the same connector as the computer and I sure don't see them starting now?

They want everything done wireless and it bugs the crap out of me too but alas this is the nature of progress!

If Apple does it you must need it?
    Or the opposite obviously too?

I need a headphone jack,a lot but apparently I just don't realize yet that I don't as they are killing them on their stuff.
    Who am I to know what I need.

And you call THAT a Rant?

12. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

iphone firewire cable connects by USB which Apple removed from the newest models. There is a reddit post of a user with 6 connectors. Apple has no strategy for connecting their devices.

I purchased an LG Tone wireless headset. Screw the air buds.

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thats what I said too.
    They want you to use wireless now and really do not seem to care what we think we need.

14. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

I just gotta say (at the very real danger of being flamed):
    - Remember how much vitriol Apple attracted over the old 30pin to Lightning switch. Lightning turns out to be clearly better and no-one grumbles about it now.
    - USB C was introduced with the MacBook (and will be the thunderbolt 3 connection in the new Pros - and thus compatible with USB). Tons of vitriol over that but old USB plugs simply wouldn't fit the MacBook chassis and USB C is again, for a user, much nicer than old styles including 'Micro'. That being said, a second USB C in place of the phono jack would have been better even if it needed a USB C to phono adapter (see where I'm going here...); it would have been more useful and even braver.
    - I'm equivocal over the loss of jack on the 7 but if it gives me a waterproof phone and, maybe, a bit more space inside for battery, better camera, or another sensor or two then I probably don't mind. That being said, I'm using a 6S so won't be upgrading until probably the 8.
    - I use a Nikon D500 camera. It introduced XQD cards as primary storage over SD cards (though it does have a SD card slot). Huge vitriol on-line until people got them and used them and realised the benefit of these super fast cards. Even have people now commenting the body should have ditched SD entirely in favour of 2 x XQD. Incidentally, as a keen photographer, I don't care about the new MacBook Pros also ditching SD slot; I moved on 6 months ago. Cameras should be transferring data by Gigabit Wireless and (yes) USB C for a wired option; both of which pretty much make the card speed the bottleneck again.
    - I don't even mind not having Ethernet ports in my laptops. I can't even remember when I last used a wired network connection in any office, hotel or even house. And I travel and visit many different offices / hotels a lot. I carried an Ethernet to USB adapter for about 6 months before consigning it to my bits and pieces box in my study. Didn't take or need it in Africa recently either (amazing how they have completely jumped the wired generation - everything is wireless (including cell networks that have cell towers powered completely by solar - no power wires either).

So, all I'm saying is that I really don't mind moving forward and having the pace 'forced' a bit by manufacturers as long as there are usability and performance benefits to me; even if they are not instantly obvious. I do really hate it when it's for cost saving reasons (e.g. can't believe Nikon / other camera makers are not putting in gigabit wireless into their cameras).

Be gentle ;-) ;-) ;-)

YankeeHotelFoxtrot, TKC, _mg_ and 3 others like this.
  15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I agree and not happily at that.

I need hard connectors built into the machine a lot of times.
    But that is just me too,I needed both Audio and Network jacks several times this week actually and would prefer to not need adapters to get these as that is what I am used to.

Change Bad.

At first at least!
    I am mostly teasing when I say they do not care what we think we need but it DOES ALWAYS end up costing me money and time in the name of "Progress" with Apple,always has and I have no doubt always will.

Is it always worth it? Not really but I do understand the motivation even if it does not always benefit me directly.
    And it does provide me some job security too.

DeepBlue likes this.
  16. Jim Hughes

Jim Hughes Loaded Pockets

As All of Government Workers used to say Change is inevitable, but not necessarily good.

17. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Still do!:rolleyes:

18. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

All previous iphones could connect by USB to the mac book. Apple has no idea how the consumers want to use and to connect their devices. The recently lowered price for the connectors indicates Apple is receiving pushback from the consumer. Apple can no longer claim their devices just work.

19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice thought but the 12" for instance is not thick enough anywhere for it to have an on board standard USB connector.
    I have a $20 adapter though that gives me 2 USB 2,1-USB 3 and 1 USB-C for charging connectors on it.
    There are other really small & cheap adapters for every other imaginable connector too.

But as these machines get thinner where would you suggest the connectors go?

20. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

I'm on my first Apple product now. I grabbed a 13" Macbook Air. There's some stupid little things I hate but for the most part, I like it. Biggest beef was the cost. This thing better be hiccup free for 4 years so I can break even. Also the discounts are lame. $150 tops buying a refurb what I saw. Whoopdeedoo. My girlfriend needs a new laptop for work and an Air is what she wants. So I asked the Apple support geek if there was a discount if we bought 2 at the same time. We're talking $2400 Canadian pesos dropped in one purchase. Nope, no discount. Seriously?

When we were shopping, I also looked at the Asus Zenbook which was around the same price. I didn't like it too much, but the sales guy offered a 25% discount if we bought 2 that day. Would have gone that route if it weren't for Windows 10 and the glossy screen.

I don't get why Apple thinks their stuff is gold. This computer is nice, but it's hasn't proven to be $1200 nice yet. Longevity and toughess will prove that. We'll see if it's $1200 nice the first time I drop it. I still think they could have given me a break on buying 2 of them. Hell, there's minimal mark up on guns in Canada. The last time I bought a rifle and scope, I got 20% knocked off the total and they threw in 2 boxes of ammo and a soft case. Sheesh...couldn't even get a kiss when I got f***ked by Apple. LOL

larrym63 and YankeeHotelFoxtrot like this.