1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Dumbphone AP?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Redneck Bear, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

Hi,

I dont think there is such a phone but Edcforums members helped me many times so Id try. :)

Ive been using Android phones for years an now Id like a change. I use two SIM cards - one for voice, other for data. I dont call and sms much and Id like the dumbphone work as an AP for some tablet/smartphone without sim. What I would like to have is:
    - a dumbphone
    - dualsim
    - LTE (800mHz freq)
    - Wifi AP
    - Google contacts sync
    - large battery (considering its not a smartphone but AP)

Cya! :)

2. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

A dumb phone that is also an AP sounds like a contradiction. If you want a dumb phone you'll need to buy a mobile wifi thingumm IMHO.

TKC likes this.
  3. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

Perhaps, but I thought - when a stupid small box can work as a mobile AP ... and when a stupid phone can have wifi ... why wouldn't it be possible for those two to exist in one body? :)

4. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

I think the overall audience of people who would want something specifically like that is pretty small - I have a feeling that most would size up to a smartphone and just not use the extra features as much (until they did once.. and became one of the rest of the sheep people - no judgment here as I'm one as well)

Redneck Bear likes this.
  5. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Just get an old iPhone 4. With ios7 it's about as useful as a dumb phone, it will AP as a baws and do Google sync however it's not dual sim... battery isn't too bad either of you replace it with a decent brand one!

6. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Loaded Pockets

I've wanted the same thing but couldn't find it.

My solution was to keep using my Android smart phone, but eliminate most of the apps that I had on it that were interfering with my ability to be present in life. My phone only has my messaging app, music/media apps, and a few other useful things like weather radar and Google maps/nav. No social media, news, games, or other time waster apps.

Ultimately I still like being able to do GPS and music streaming with my phone in my truck on a regular basis.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk