1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDCForums

Discussion in 'MEMBER RULES, GUIDELINES & ANNOUNCEMENTS' started by scríbhneoir, May 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared Staff Member

As our members are all aware, a little over 10 years ago, Jon created a forum that allowed people of all ages, from all walks of life, experience, and work, to share their love and knowledge of the things that they carry every day with other like-minded individuals in a family-friendly environment. To our knowledge, it was the first – or certainly one of the very first – forums to provide a place that is not specific to one set of edc items, i.e., just knives, just lights, just bags, just pens, etc. To say his idea has been a success is an understatement, with nearly 47,000 registered members to date either lurking and/or participating. Jon created a really good thing.

Many know that the past year has been a challenge to Jon health-wise. He worried about being able to maintain the forum and his business at J.S. Burly’s, while trying to get well. As a result, he approached me and asked if I would be willing to run the forum. I agreed, with the caveat that I would have to have a crack team of folks who could help – and I do.

So, with the help of an excellent and dedicated staff, I am now overseeing the forum’s operations. What does that mean for the forum, the members, and the staff? Despite the very sad situation that necessitated Jon’s stepping away from the forum, the transfer offers tremendous opportunity to continue to ensure EDCF remains true to Jon’s vision of an inclusive and family-friendly place where people from all over the world can discuss and share their love of edc.

In addition to significant software changes,
    • The store has been removed from the forum, which means we will have opportunities for craftsmen, hobbyists, manufacturers, etc., to sell and advertise their wares once again. Stay tuned for more information!
    • The Linkblocker software has been removed.
    • The rules are undergoing some revision, and certain rules against deal spotting, group buys, etc., previously put in place will change.
    • Some shifts in staff will occur/have occurred, and we will be adding new moderators.
    • We are currently updating and tweaking the forum software to improve member and staff experiences. This includes https://, which is functional now.
    • We will be moving some sections around and adding others to meet the interests of our members and their edc.

We hope the changes thus far have appeared rather seamless in implementation, and more good things are to come. And we hope that you will continue to find this place your “EDC home” on the Internet as we journey through the next decade – and more.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact one of the staff members. We thank you for your support over the past years, and in the future.

scríbhneoir

2. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared Staff Member

You haven’t seen me on this side of the forum in awhile. I should not even be on here now but finishing getting some loose ends caught up.
    It is no secret on the forum that I have been sick for a couple of years and have not been able to work like I used to. Quite a lot of people got mad at me but there was not much choice. People said I needed to take care of myself. I’m trying, but I also have to continue to try and work.
    I have known Karen for a lot of years. She’s been with the forum since it started 10 years ago. Always helped when I needed it, a lot behind the scenes, and I trust her judgment completely. She and the staff have run the forum like I wanted while I have tried to get caught up and healthy. Not much luck on either.
    This change shouldn't be a surprise to anybody, since I said this publicly 3 years ago. I have other posts out there, too.

Karen always said no every time I tried to get her to take the forum. It had to happen now so I could make sure the forum kept going, so finally she agreed. Please give her your support.
    I will be around, just in a different way as I take care of unfinished business.

Gamble, Codeman, JerryD and 18 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.