1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

If you could take elements from other bags to make THE ULTRA SUPERIOR PERFECT PACK....

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by CANNIBALdinner., Oct 18, 2015.

1. CANNIBALdinner.

CANNIBALdinner. Loaded Pockets

Over the years I've owned so many packs I've lost count. Of all the packs I've owned, there is ALWAYS something that I don't like or wish I could change. Either the back support is awesome but the internal organization is crap...The pockets are great but the shoulder straps are terrible....Always something. For instance, I've been carrying a Tom Bihn Synapse 25 for a few weeks now. I LOVE the organization and the fact that bag is like a black hole that just seems to be able to fit more than it should. But I HATE the lack of back support and the thin shoulder straps. Especially when I'm on my way to night class and I have my hefty text books and folders inside. I do however like the Synapse because I like a pack without too many frills, bells and whistles on the outside and I find compression straps more obnoxious than anything.

So it recently occurred to me that it would be great to be able to take elements of different bags and put them together to make the ULTRA SUPERIOR PERFECT PACK...

So if I had my choice, I'd take a Tom Bihn Synapse 25, add the back support of a Kifaru or GORUCK pack. I'd add the shoulder straps of a GR1 or the AMAZING Mystery Ranch strap system...a couple of internal mesh pockets like on a TAD litespeed. Goruck zipper pulls and a velcro strip for patches. I think that would do it for me....

So how about it? WHAT IS YOUR ULTRA SUPERIOR PERFECT PACK?

steeps likes this.
  2. yugotprblms

yugotprblms Loaded Pockets

I'd like one with the aesthetics of Arc'teryx packs (they're beautiful, can't deny that), as well as the minimalist type daisy chains on the Khard. I would have a full opening type bag, something along the lines of the Khard itself, or even how Goruck or the Litespeed opens. Side compression straps. Subdued, more "urban" type colors. I'd essentially like a built in OP1. The inside would be lined with loop velcro all over, but it would also be laser cut molle (like the new HAWG outside). As for straps, I do like my Khard's straps, so at least something contoured. Not ridiculous amounts of padding though. The HPG harness looks awesome. Some sort of frame or stays or something to give it structure. The ability to add a belt that's actually useful, unlike the stupid straps on my Khard.

Some sort of laptop pocket too. I rarely carry my laptop with me, but I use the laptop sleeve in my GR1 for papers quite a bit. A few internal and maybe external pockets. Subdued lashing points.

It's super hard to think of what would be perfect for me. Haha.

Bedlam and CANNIBALdinner. like this.
  3. CANNIBALdinner.

^ sounds like a sweet pack man! I'm sold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

<tinfoilhat> Its all a conspiracy.... if ONE brand would make a perfect pack nobody would ever sell a pack to anyone who bought one ever again (including the brand that made it as a perfect pack would never wear, break, get lost or stolen or go out of fashion). So the business would go bust in a perfectionists kind of suicide! And the funny thing is; this doesn't just go for bags or backpacks. Every industry is a conspiracy and everyone is working together to keep us gear-junkies needlessly buying nearly the same thing over and over again :frantic: </tinfoilhat>

rr1071, Bedlam and CANNIBALdinner. like this.
  5. geostation

geostation Loaded Pockets

goruck ? imo that's the simplest and the best implementation of an EDC pack. Evade is comes close but i like the boxy design of goruck better. It also comes with the "culture" of rucking.

having said that, newer lighter materials, laser cut molle, integrated solar charging are the future imo.

paustin and CANNIBALdinner. like this.
  6. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Mine would be some combination of the TAD EDC (or maybe the All Hazards Prime for its beavertail), Rush 12/24, Direct Action Dust and the new Evade. The Evade comes in pretty darned close to being perfect for my needs. If it had a beavertail, you'd probably never see my sorry butt around here again. Oh who am I kidding? I am way too much of a bag junkie!

CANNIBALdinner. likes this.
  7. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

Hurm... this is interesting.
    Unique shape of the 5.11 Triab. I like the Triangular shape.
    Sling or back pack conversion of the Traib. I like the versatility.
    Internal pouches from the 5.11 Rush 24. I like their organization better.
    Admin section from the Rush 24.
    Hidden Conceal and Carry section, like the Triab or MOAB series.
    Multiple sections of the All Hazard Prime. Including laptop and tablet padded pouches. I like the internal Molee of the Prime and the way it clam-shells open, but from the top not the bottom like the Triab.
    Straps from the All Hazard Prime. The yoke system is nice, and those straps are nicely padded with out being cusshy or 'too soft'.
    Water pouches on either side from the 5.11 Covert 18, and or the ones from the Camelbak Qunatico (Not sure if they're big enough to hold a 32oz Nalgene. I do like the fold away function of them.
    Pass through from the All Hazard Prime to hold a nightstick or what have you.
    Color... 5.11 Double Tap, and
    Kryptek Typhon (I'd want both options) and maybe a subdued Urban digital camo, and definitely in CADPAD, the Canadian digital Camo. It's got more dark greens and stuff. And I live in the UP of MI. So I'm actually "north" of alot of Canada, so that color scheme is great here.
    Size: I'd want one in Rush 24 size (As in how much it holds) and one in All Hazards Prime size... and one a step down.
    And something that keeps it from attracting cat hair like a magnet dropped in a bag of iron fillings. I love my bags but they suck up cat hair like vacuums. Sheesh!​

CANNIBALdinner. and Myrddraal like this.
  8. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

*starting photoshop*

i would turn this:
    [​IMG]

into this :D :D :D omg i love this thread.

Tasmanian tiger medic bag, now with side pocket, admin area, MT pouch, laser cut molle, in rescue orange. for USAR or EMS

[​IMG]
    Blue one as well (department specific for a friend)
    [​IMG]

gearheavy, CBisch, mole and 1 other person like this.
  9. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

Awesome topic. Unfortunately, there are a LOT of options.

For me (currently) I would have to start with a First Spear ECP.
    Add the straps from a Goruck GR1, plus a sternum strap. Also a frame sheet/laptop compartment similar to the GR1.
    Build in an admin pocket like the TAD Litespeed.
    Velcro/laser cut molle interior panel.
    Contrasting interior color.
    CCW compartment on the bottom of the bag :)
    Offer colors other than black, FDE and OD.

I think I could be happy with that combo.

10. CANNIBALdinner.

That's really cool man!!!

11. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Sorry to post twice, but I thought of another bag that I overlooked before: the large First Spear Comms pack. It would be perfect for me if it had an admin pocket of some kind, and if the beavertail was adjustable on the top where it clips to the main portion of the pack.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

12. Barchack

Barchack Loaded Pockets

For an EDC bag-
    Mystery Ranch Tri-zip access, removeable beaver tail and external water bottle pockets
    Kifaru X-Ray straps, suspension and removeable waistbet
    Mesh internal organization along back panel, like ATS Raid

13. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

I would say...

The stountess (keeps its shape) of a Goruck ...

Organization of a TB Synapse ...

That is as comfortable as a Camelbak Hawg...

My issue with bags is my needs change. As my job is becoming more progressive and my kids are getting bigger and I might doing more traveling, bags change as well. But in the end, simplicity gets to me.

14. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Bellstaff 556 in looks and exterior function.

Felt-ish loop field on inner wall of external pockets (to protect screens and attach mag holders)...like a lot of modern bags.

Quick strap adjustment similar to Mission Workshop, but still long enough to ride at your waist. It doesn't need to be AS fast, but a little better and more secure than a tri-glide.

Internal organization like the Patagonia Mini Mass and Fossil Estate commuter and still enough room for a 12" laptop. I don't want to have to use organizers, hunt for small things, or have everything clumped in the bottom.

Strap pad like the Vertx satchel.

Weight below 24 ounces, even if it means it'll only last a year.

Water-resistant enough for splashes and light rain.

If weight will allow, I'd like all of the leather parts on the 556 to be hypalon. And if most of it is rip-stop, I'd like it to be silent. Also, interior should be zombie green or hunter orange and very slightly gitd.

And no :censored:ing magnets or Velcro closures...zippers, snaps, and belts.

343KD and CANNIBALdinner. like this.
  15. Burncycle

Burncycle Loaded Pockets

Trident 20 with either a single conformal water bottle pouch like Sitka, or turned into a top loader and a water bottle pocket on both sides, preferably low profile like the dragon egg.

Outside lower storage pocket turned into a beavertail and connected with fastex buckles at the upper attachment points.

Slightly curved conformal spine board that's fitted between hydration bladder pocket and your back so the pack isn't deformed as much when stuffed or after bladder is full. Alternatively trampoline suspension with lightweight x frame to accomplish the same task (water bladder or contents not altering the shape of the bag against your back. Camelback tube hole in hydration pocket instead of main pocket.

Last edited by Burncycle, Oct 20, 2015
  16. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

My pet peeve with modern backpacks are the hipbelts, particularly in the EDC size/load range. You either get stupid, 1" webbing straps which are useless for load-bearing, or a huge contoured foam belt that looks terrible and just gets in the way when you are carrying light loads.

Straight fabric + surface area is a simple tuck-away solution for comfortable load-bearing hipbelts. Here are 3 examples that nail it, all include stabilizing straps, from Arcteryx, Marmot and Mountainsmith - classics though... you won't find them anymore :(.

[​IMG]

CBisch and CANNIBALdinner. like this.
  17. CANNIBALdinner.

My issue is more with bags that have waist belts that aren't removable. For me, they just get in the way.

reppans likes this.
  18. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I don't have a huge need to change my backpack (gr0). The only thing I would change is a deeper front pocket, maybe protrude an inch or two. When the bag itself is filled, it's near impossible to retrieve anything from the front pocket.
    Everything else is good though.

19. NIB

NIB Loaded Pockets

That's funny because the first pack that came to my mind from your description is a 5.11 RUSH 12 which I've always consider to be my favorite despite having Goruck, Kifaru, and TAD packs. I've even added wannabe Goruck zipper-pulls to my RUSH 12.

20. CANNIBALdinner.

Ya know man I did the same thing to my Rush 12 with the zippers! I just don't like the shoulder straps. It's a shame really because it would probably be perfect for me otherwise.