1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Is there a multitool with a utility knife?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Fryk, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Fryk

Fryk Empty Pockets

Dad's birthday is coming up and I'd like to get him a multitool. But ever since he got his folding utility knife with a replaceable blade a few years ago he has sworn off knives he has to sharpen. I don't think he'd carry around a multi unless it had this feature. If the utility blade was in addition to a regular blade I think that would work. Does anyone make such a tool? If not, why? Me, I like a good carbon steel blade, mostly, I guess, because I think it's cool. But Dad's over that, he just wants it sharp, and when it's not, just switch it out. I have to admit, I see his logic.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

Never heard of one being made, but sounds like a good idea to me. By the way. Welcome to EDCF Fryk.

3. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

:welcome: Welcome aboard, Fryk.

4. Fryk

Fryk Empty Pockets

Hey thanks Fishwolf. I have just been watching the forum for a few weeks and honestly I just joined to ask that question. I've been looking around the web for a while for a tool like that and you guys seem to know as much as anyone about stuff you carry around in your pocket. I always liked to have certain stuff with me all the time (knife, lens cloth, other stuff) but I never thought there was a community for it. I had to look up EDC. Now I read a good portion of the threads.
    Peace

Thanks Parnass

5. Stuey

Stuey Loaded Pockets

I have never seen one, although Gerber's EAB might be suitable. Basically it is a really compact utility blade holder. I've seen them at Target for ~$10, but haven't seen it online too often.

6. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

This is something I won't be surprised to see coming. A trapeze or xacto blade with exact control over the cutting tip, always sharp to go along with the main one, sweet.

7. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

The Gerber Artifact has an exchangeable exacto blade.

Water-Rat and WillAdams like this.
  8. vermeire

vermeire Loaded Pockets

Since he is so into his utility knife how about a multi-tool without a blade? The knifeless Fuse. Not sure if he would carry them both or not. I almost went that route due to having been used to a knife clipped on my pocket for so long. I've gotten used to only carrying my Swisstool Spirit or Juice though. Anyway, it's something to consider.

9. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

But it hardly qualifies as a multitool. "Multitool" implies a tool incorporating at least some kind of pliers and/or scissors in addition to blades, screwdivers and openers.

10. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

If I had the time I would try and take one of those mini keychain utility knives and put it on a multitool. Wonder if it could be done?

11. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I'm waving the thread necromancy wand to ask the same original question, only 9 years on.

Is there a multitool, of any size ideally incorporating pliers that has a replaceable utility blade feature. Friend of mine asked for a gift for her other half with those sort of specs.

Not sure much has changed but I thought I'd ask the experts :)

12. NelsonIII
    • +1 Supporter

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

No, but I don't know why, it makes perfect sense. Where I work I'm almost always using replacement blades to scrape hard plastic off metal parts of a machine, a task no "super steel" or "hard use" knife would handle without hourly resharpening. So I'm forced to carry a multi tool AND a utility blade.

Tallboyjim likes this.
  13. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Would such a tool have to come with a dedicated space to store a few blades? If not that kind of defeats the object a bit don't you think??

Funny, I just found a Stanley product at the back of my tool box, it's got the normal sliding blade at one end and a liner locking combo edged knife at the other end.
    The belt sheath has a pocket just for a box of replacement blades too.

Tallboyjim likes this.
  14. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Can't vouch for quality, but google "Sheffield Multi-Tool 58131"

ATB,
    Sam

Tallboyjim likes this.
  15. DFT17

DFT17 Loaded Pockets

Not a utility blade, but there is the new Havalon Evolve...essentially a multitool with a scalpel blade...

WillAdams and Tallboyjim like this.
  16. Vidar Mortensen

Vidar Mortensen Empty Pockets

Stanley got a utility knife with a sad excuse for a plier and a screwdriver with bits. (Don't waste your money).

Tallboyjim likes this.
  17. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Was curious about this:

- Stanley Multi-Tool STHT71699 --- retractable utility knife, 1/4" hex and small jab saw
    - Titanium Pocket Tool “TPT” --- this was on Kickstarter (Bottle Opener, Flat Head Screwdriver, Wide Flat Head Screwdriver, Internal Magnet, 1/4″ (6mm) Hex Bit Opening, Measurement Cues, Mini Pry Bar, Scraper Edge, Stainless Steel Insert “Dual Function”, 550 Paracord Lanyard / Key Ring Opening, Accepts Standard Utility Razor Blades (not included), Universal Wrench Design (15 Socket Sizes), SAE 15/64, 1/4, 17/64, 9/32, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 7/16 in., Metric 6,7,8,9,10,11,12 mm)
    - various folks on eBay are selling "Tactical SlimCut Utility Knife Lock Bottle Opener keytool" --- (cutter, bottle opener, flat head screwdriver)
    - Harbor Freight has "Carabiner Multi-tool Knife With Five Blades" --- Built-in flat and Phillips screwdrivers

Tallboyjim likes this.
  18. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Hmm... that Sheffield looks interesting, but I think the ideal tool would have pliers plus the utility knife.

The Stanley utility knife/jab saw looks cool as well.

The TPT seems like an innovation of the RUT. Both are your basic one piece multi-tool with a utility blade on one end.

Hey, just did a quick google search and found that Stanley has a version of it's Fat Max utility knife multitool that has a small pair of pliers in the place of the jab saw in the above mentioned tool. The pliers appear to fold out and lock in place. They seem to have the standard multitool head arrangement of not quite needle nose jaws, with bolt grabber teeth past that, and wire cutter jaws past that. It looks a little on the small/wimpy side, but it's the only thing with a utility blade and pliers I've seen so far. It's the STA071024. Found it on UKToolBox.

Tallboyjim likes this.
  19. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Oh, same layout as the STHT71699 --- unfortunately @Vidar Mortensen argued against it.

How large a set of pliers do you need with how much leverage?

Tallboyjim likes this.
  20. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Heh for some reason I didn't even notice Vidar's post. Oh well. Looks like it's still best to just pack a pair of needle nose pliers and a folding utility knife.

Tallboyjim likes this.