1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Just picked this up at.............walmart!?!?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by christopherdiehl, Jan 7, 2017.

1. christopherdiehl

christopherdiehl Empty Pockets

Found this at walmart for about $38. Ive never owned a knife this nice before so im pretty excited. Spyderco tenacious. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

Nice, I carried one myself for many years and used it daily. I wish the Walmarts in Oregon carried decent knives. I only ever see Gerber and Ozark Trail crap on local shelves.

Congrats on getting into well-designed knives. Only a matter of time until you bump up into the $100 range for an EDC, like I did. It hurts, but I don't regret it. :)

Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Whoa... a Spyderco at Walmart? I wish. The only Tenacious I've ever seen in real life was behind the glass counter at Bass Pro for $65.

4. Ray Loftis

Ray Loftis Loaded Pockets

It's a good edc knife had one I gave to son he still uses it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yo mama likes this.
  5. Roguehunter

Roguehunter Loaded Pockets

I cant believe this. Walmart selling spyderco!!!

6. christopherdiehl

Same here. We only have gerber and ozark trail crap. We have a few different kershaw knives and crkt but thats it. Im not sure how walmart ended up with a spyderco but they had 2 of these. I can definitely see a $100 + knife in my near future. The quality of
    the spyderco vs any other knife ive ever owned is night and day.

Stutz and Water-Rat like this.
  7. Cesar

Cesar Empty Pockets

Excellent choice. The only problem with Spydercos is that they are addictive, so get ready.

Moshe ben David and Water-Rat like this.
  8. christopherdiehl

Oh im ready cant wait!

9. Justinp

Justinp Loaded Pockets

They definitely are addicting. I started with the resilience about 6 months ago. Got a ladybug for my girlfriend, but that was really an excuse for me to buy a new knife and now I'm about to upgrade to the manix 2 g10. That'll be my first "real" knife purchase. I can't wait.

christopherdiehl likes this.
  10. Graylife

Graylife Loaded Pockets

Great knife for edc.l gave my tenacious to my brother and stepped it up to a PM2.

11. christopherdiehl

Thats my next purchase. Is there a big difference between the two?

12. Graylife

Graylife Loaded Pockets

Yes, better steel, different style of lock. To me it's better all around.

13. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

There was a thread recently mentioning big name knife manufacturers producing lesser quality examples of their own knives, to be sold at lower prices than the upper quality knives that they manufacture.
    Could these be that?

jdub4key likes this.
  14. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I got the same knife at my local Walmart. Online the price is $48 but in the store it's $38. Great knife! I carry it when I travel since most states frown on my automatic Schrade. [​IMG]

15. christopherdiehl

Im not sure but i know a cheap knife when i see one and the spiderco i bought isnt cheap. Or cheaply built i should say. Its too smooth. I know its a lesser quality steel but man it feels like it opens and closes on ball bearings. If it is a lesser quality from the manufacturer or perhaps a knockoff, for 38 bucks ill take it all day

16. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I had a Tenacious for about a week. When it comes time for you to tighten or loosen any of the Torx screws on there and they instantly strip out, you'll know. I sent mine in to Spyderco to have them fix it under warranty and the lady who "fixed it" had trouble getting the stripped screws out. Someone at the factory overseas put waaaaay too much Loctite. The annoying thing is when it came back sort of damaged (G10 got burnt from what I assume was a soldering iron to break up the loctite) and I complained they didn't offer any kind of replacement. So now I stick to Delicas and nothing else by them.

17. christopherdiehl

Oh know! Dang that sucks

18. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

The Chicago up to the Tenacious are great knives, though. It just kinda showed me that to save money Spyderco was using poorly made hardware. Reminded me a lot of the Bechmade Vex from I guess it was their Red Line? Budget entry level stuff. I had the same problem but with the liners rusting from absolutely no moisture.

19. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

Wal-Mart used to carry a Spyderco Native for around $40. It was a good knife, as is this one. This knife will be the typical Spyderco build quality, but is built overseas and uses a good, but non-premium blade steel to keep the cost down.

jag-engr likes this.
  20. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

They're not cheaply built, but inexpensive for Spyderco. 8Cr13MoV I think is the steel, which is standard entry-level Chinese steel (i.e., it's not unnamed "mystery steel" but decent steel with a name). It will take a wicked edge but like I said, you'll need to get comfortable with sharpening if you want to keep it that way because it won't hold real long. I sharpened about once a week cutting open plastic bags and cardboard boxes at work. It will hold a usable edge for quite a while, but not a sharp one. The other thing about mine was the pivot screw always worked itself loose. I got a torx driver to keep the blade centered and the opening smooth but not loose.

IMO what you're buying more than anything is the design. For my money, nothing is as convenient as a Spydie-hole combined with a liner lock for one-handed operation. And the ergos quite are nice. The thumb jimping is excellent on this one.

christopherdiehl likes this.