1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman Style PS Owners: Bent Scissors??

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by balexander87, Dec 28, 2016.

1. balexander87

balexander87 Empty Pockets

Just picked up a new Style PS. Ordered from Amazon and showed up today. Playing around with it I noticed that the scissors look to be a little bent. Google shows several threads where people have had the scissors on these break. Wondering if the scissors being bent doesn't lead to them breaking.

Can any other Style PS owners comment as to whether or not the scissors on your examples are bent or not?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. That Movie Guy

That Movie Guy Loaded Pockets

I never noticed the scissors having a bend to them. However mine were amongst the many that spontaneously broke their spring. Sent it in under warranty and it was replaced. I kept it clipped to my keys using the handy dandy built in carabiner. It fell off a few times, the last time being permanent. It's gone. Got fed up and, rather than replace the Style again, I got a Micra instead which I'm VERY pleased with.

Dirty Rod likes this.
  3. balexander87

Yeah, the Style PS isn't my first choice, but I'm going to be flying a lot in the next couple of months and would like to have something on me without having to check a bag. The Style PS being "TSA Compliant" is my only reason for getting it.

That Movie Guy likes this.
  4. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Mine have great scissors, but I can relate. My first Juice S2 had poorly articulated scissors.

5. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

Carry a Style PS almost daily, no issues. At all.

6. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

The same happened to my Style PS scissors. I just unfolded them one day and the spring fell out. When I sent the PS to Leatherman warranty, for unknown reasons they sent me a Squirt PS4 as a replacement, which has the same spring design as the PS, so I don't really trust it. But I'll keep it, or trade for something else. I'm not going to replace the PS. I don't fly much, anyway. BTW, I think the Micra is the best "keychain" tool of any. I got mine in 1997, and except for brief flirtations with others, it has been in my 5th pocket no matter what else I have on me. On their first try, Leatherman got this one right.

Jesus™ likes this.
  7. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I've carried a PS clipped to my key ring with the built in carabiner with no issues for over a year. Scissors are not bent and work fine for many little cutting chores.

balexander87 likes this.
  8. balexander87

To confirm, the slight bend in the scissors and spring in the photograph of mine above is not present on your PS? Thanks!!

If the spring isn't meant to be bent, this could be what leads to eventual failure of the scissors. If that's the case, I'll look to get a warranty replacement sooner rather than later.

9. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Yes, my scissors and yours look completely different. Mine rest along the main section of the tool and are completely straight whereas yours are obviously bent and rest against that front guard thingie. It definitely looks like yours got messed up somewhere along the way. Send it in.

balexander87 likes this.
  10. balexander87

Perfect! Thanks!

11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

This is the very reason that I have eliminated ALL Leathermans from my inventory except one: DIMINISHED quality.
    BTW, the sample that I once tried has the same exact problem.

Water-Rat and balexander87 like this.
  12. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

OTOH, mine all came well made and sturdy, but now that I think of it, I've had them a long time. I haven't bought a new one in some years, so have no idea of how the new ones are put together. :unsure: Maybe I'll just hang with them for a while longer.

13. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I once owned a Wave purchased before 2000. I gave it to a nephew once stationed in one of the "stans." I purchased the Crunch about a year after. Those are the only two that I purchased over a decade ago. The new products are just plain marginal at best. Very disappointing....

SurivStud likes this.