1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Streamlight Protac 1 AAA

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by keith1234, Feb 27, 2015.

1. keith1234
    • The Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I see Streamlight is releasing the Protac in a single AAA form 70 lumens on high for 30 minutes, 11 hours on low 5 lumens. I just wonder if this will be the end of the Microstream or will they keep it.

2. mlp2147

mlp2147 Loaded Pockets

I say you can never have enough in the lighting department....

keith1234 likes this.
  3. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

:eek: I hope they don't stop making the Microstream. Actually, I doubt they will... I like the ProTac series but the Microstream is just too big
    of a seller for them.

4. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

The runtimes sound more appealing. The runtime on the Microstream is poor to say the least... The reason I've bought a few Microstreams is simply the price ($13-14) when I need to buy a few lights to stash some places and because they do have a good reputation of being indestructible. Thus, I would be interested in the Protac only if it was priced cheaply as well.

5. keith1234
    • The Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

It looks to run between $29 and $40+ on different sites. It would be nice if they put the same clip that is on the Micro on the Protac.

GatorMedic likes this.
  6. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

That's for the 2x AAA though right? Wouldn't the single AAA be slightly less? Maybe not... And even if less, still probably not half the cost so defeats the purpose for me. But like I said I only buy them as cheap back-ups that need to be stowed in multiple places. The ones that actually EDC the Microstream might be of a totally different opinion since their needs/wants differ than mine

7. keith1234
    • The Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

When I saw the ad the other day I did a search for the light and found the single AAA Protac on several sites ranging in price from $29 to over $40. Allowing for the 10 tap programming I think it is a bit overpriced. I too prefer the price point of the Micro as well as the simplicity of the light.

GatorMedic likes this.
  8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Meh. They're falling into the same trap as other manufacturers with their mode spacing. Either you really bright for a shorter runtime, or really dim for a longer runtime. 30ish lumens for a couple of hours would make it a lot more appealing to me.

steeps and keith1234 like this.
  9. keith1234
    • The Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

It really doesn't interest me since I already have lights with similar levels Preon 1, Preon Revo, just extra modes. If I really wanted this light I would take the head off my Protac 2 AAA and put it on a Microstream spare I have, I have already tried it and it works. I can't see making 2 AAA lights that are almost identical except one has 2 extra modes to it.

10. Gray29

Gray29 Loaded Pockets

I need it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. SteelWaiting

SteelWaiting Loaded Pockets

I don't know I enjoy my protac 1aaa. I'm armed security for Los Angeles Metro Rail and I think I might be working grave yard soon. So I need the 5 lumen option for a long runtime ( checking tickets, maps or what have you ) and 90 lumens if I'm searching for something I might've dropped in the bushes or identifying homeless without totally blinding them. When it comes to defense that's when my Surefire P2x Fury comes out with 600 lumens along with my mace. Triple tap to the eyes then the mace to their face ! (J.K.) It just wouldn't make any sense using the fury for checking papers and such of that sort it's overkill and runtime is 1.5 hrs on that. 10 Pk of Cr123a batts are around 25 bucks. I think I got a good system.

jcombs likes this.