1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Tactile Turn Bolt Pen Revealed!

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Nusm, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I am the proud owner of a few of the Tactile Turn Movers & Shakers, and they are fantastic pens. Will, the owner of Tactile Turn, is great to deal with and very responsive. He has moved on to the Gist fountain pens and unfortunately isn't going to make any more of the Movers & Shakers. I heard rumors that he was working on a bolt pen, so I sent him an e-mail last night inquiring about it, and he responded and pointed me to his Instagram page. The good news is that it's real (!), and the better news is that it's going to be on Kickstarter early next week!

Will says to expect this to be a short campaign with delivery in early October, because "waiting for cool stuff sucks." Materials will include: Stainless, brass, copper, titanium, zirconium, stainless with Damascus steel, and all Damascus. I can tell you that, from the quality of the Mover & Shaker pens that I own, I'm all in for a TT Bolt! Go take a look for yourself at this link.

mercurialpissings and TV09 like this.
  2. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

Stainless at $49 (2.1 ounces/60 grams)
    Brass at $59
    Copper at $69
    Titanium at $79
    Zirconium at $139
    Damascus/stainless at $159
    Solid Damascus $199

[​IMG]

It looks like the new bolt mechanism isn't fun/easy to play with as those use an L-shaped channel. Will's pens are fat and heavy. Will the new one be the same?

[​IMG]

(not my pic)

Last edited by TiBoy, Sep 2, 2016
    MKLight and Sheep Dog like this.
  3. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

The instagram comments say it will be a bit narrower than the mover and shaker (which I found too fat). It looks like he did a lot of research and took a lot of feedback
    about the current bolt pens; ie.. those L shape corners can be kind of sharp, the taper is gradual, no silly knob up top. Looks like a good design evolution from the Mover and Shaker...worth the wait.

mercurialpissings likes this.
  4. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

Will sent me a slightly different price list by e-mail last night:

Stainless Steel - $49
    Brass - $49
    Copper - $59
    Titanium - $69
    Zirconium - $159
    Stainless with Damascus - $159
    Solid Damascus - $239

The prices he sent me have the Brass, Copper, and Titanium a little less, the Zirconium & solid Damascus a little more, and the Stainless & Stainless w/Damascus the same price. He did caution me that the prices may change when it goes on KS, but that's what I got last night.

mercurialpissings and TV09 like this.
  5. mercurialpissings

mercurialpissings Loaded Pockets

I might be one of the few who love the fat diameter of the Mover. I'm a tight-grip long-session writer and the fatness of the Mover is the least fatiguing out of all my machined pens: TiBolt, Maxmadco, and all the Karas Kustoms pens. So when I saw this slightly thinner diameter, I was quite disappointed. But I will not fail to try one of these after being a fan of the Titanium Mover. I don't know a lot of pens that are Zirconium except the D*Rocket so this is a must-try for me. Looks to me like that bolt mechanism will be more fun to play with. No sharp angles. Just sliding in a curve. And as a big fan of the G2/Pilot Juice refills, that Tactile Turn Glider is a must-have. Saddened for the slight increase in price (although relieved its only twenty bucks) but nevertheless can't wait for the kickstarter next week. I do hope Will has a single price package for a pair of these beauties: Zirconium+Titanium Gliders.

Last edited by mercurialpissings, Sep 6, 2016
  6. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

Latest from Will... He is going for a very fast Kickstarter project and has already started production. His current plan is to have the project up next Monday, September 12th, with delivery the first or second week of October!

Due to the compressed schedule he will be limiting the quantities to around 300 per material. He reconfirmed the price list as:

Stainless Steel - $49
    Brass - $49
    Copper - $59
    Titanium - $69
    Zirconium - $159
    Solid Damascus - $239

Very excited about this pen as I have a number of his previous pens and the workmanship is amazing. Now I just need to decide on which material...

TV09 likes this.
  7. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

.....aaaaand it's LIVE! If you're interested in the Slider (shorter) or Glider (longer) Bolt pens, they're now up on Kickstarter here.
    One of the interesting aspects to me is that the shorter Glider pen will still take a Pilot G2/Juice refill with a little trimming off the back. Most pens that are designed to take the shorter Parker-style refill won't allow the tip of a G2 refill to pass through the nose even if you cut it shorter. The Shaker pen would, and now the Slider pen will.

8. bj warkentin

You beat me to it... I have been waiting for this to go live today but had to go run some errands. All ready at $33,423 of the $50K goal. Not bad for a couple of hours. This will "sell out" as Will is only putting up 200 of each pen type in each material. Its a interesting take on the "bolt" action style and Will's workmanship is simply outstanding. They will be available after the campaign in his store at a higher price.

The Glider takes a G2 style refill and the Slider takes a Parker style.

9. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

As I mentioned above, the Slider will take a large range of Pilot G2 compatible refills if they can be trimmed a little on the end.

10. bj warkentin

and it just blew through the 50K goal roughly 8 hours in. That in itself is a testament to the quality Will produces.

Which means it will happen and I will get my hands on another pen early October. (because I really really need another pen).

11. Brynoceros

Brynoceros Loaded Pockets

I read this post over the weekend and couldnt wait for today to arrive. I purchased two pens today and cant wait for them to be delivered! I am having a hard time with which length to get though.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

12. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

The good news is that you've still got 10 days to decide! For me, I'm fairly certain that I will like the shorter form factor of the Slider, especially since it is so flexible in refill choices. I can use any of the Parker-style refills or I can use a Pilot G2 sized refill by just cutting a little off the back.

Brynoceros likes this.
  13. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Yeah...I like a shorter length pen so the Slider it is for me...I put myself down for a titanium because of the weight but now I'm thinking I should try the stainless steel also? The SS Maxmadco is like 1.7 oz .. the Slider is coming in at 2.0 oz.
    I think I'll wait to see how comfortable the Ti is .. I had thought the Shaker/Mover were a tad too thick so I also think I should wait before buying 2.. Its just his KS prices are so good. Glad to see quality precision pens ...

14. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I will agree that his prices are fantastic. I paid $125 for the titanium Maxmadco, and the Glider/Slider titanium comes in at almost half that price. I went ahead and sprung for a titanium and a stainless steel. I figure that whichever one isn't my favorite should be an easy sell should I decide to get my money back out of either of them.

15. Brynoceros

Brynoceros Loaded Pockets

I went with copper and titanium myself. I feel like I would prefer the shorter also. I have been measuring some of my pens that I have to help decide. I unfortunately dont have a huge selection to choose from nor any like this. I have had my eye on this style for a while and at the price i couldnt do anything but pull the trigger on them.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

16. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

Backed one in copper. Figure it's going to be like my Shaker but without the problematic clicker. So to replace that. Also eyeing the zirconium but trying to be responsible and keep it below $75. :( Gonna need new boots soon and my feet are more important.

17. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I think it depends on what type of refills you like.. If you write with mainly Parker Style the Slider is the same length as most Parker Style pens. If you like G2 or other large Gel refills the Glider. But if you don't mind cutting a G2 refill it will fit the Slider...but I'm not certain they all be cut.ie. Energel, Uniball etc.
    I found my KK Retrakt which is the 5.625 inches long just feels a tad too tall when writing.. but that is just me.. My Parker Sonnet is about 5.5 inches long..just a tad shorter than the Retrakt or Glider and I don't feel that is tall when writing with it...weird. The refill versatility of the Glider cannot be discounted if your bent on trying lots of the excellent Gel refills out there.

18. MKLight

MKLight Loaded Pockets

I thought that looked familiar. It's my picture. I like it! I still have each of those pens...if you have any questions, let me know.

19. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Yeah I have a maxmadco. I had a Shaker at one point; I sold it as it as a little too wide for me. The slider/glider is suppose to be a tiny bit smaller in diameter..we'll see. I thought the maxmadco would be my last pen but I can't seem to stop buying pens.
    Questions yeah, I wonder where in your line up the slider/glider will fall?

MKLight likes this.
  20. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

Nice shot indeed! I backed an SS Glider at $39 to try out its balance and new bolt mechanism. I like the Tibolt, but the bolt always digs into my hand when I write. I hope the Glider (the longer version) will not do the same thing.

I've been looking for a used Ti Maxmadco for years without any luck. It seems that every owner likes it a lot.

Last edited by TiBoy, Sep 13, 2016
    MKLight likes this.