1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Very Minimalist Carry

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by irnstad, Jun 1, 2010.

1. irnstad

irnstad Loaded Pockets

How much useful stuff do you think you could carry without drawing ANY attention.
    no backpacks
    No baggy pants with cargo pockets
    no satchels
    no fanny packs

If searched, would be almost completely normal.

Here's my thinking:
    The credit card multitool in wallet
    wallet
    cell phone
    keys
    maybe small thing on keys?
    tactical pen I think its called.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  2. skeet

skeet Loaded Pockets

What do you mean by "normal" ?

ManVsLawn likes this.
  3. WESBC

WESBC Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

The main rule for me about EDC is not drawing any attention, not letting anything be seen or heard. I typically wear Levi's 501's that fit rather well, and I have no problem with carrying the above items at the same time. The more fitting nature of the pants keeps my EDC items from moving around making sure there is not much bulk or movement to create noise. Everyone that sees me empty my pockets are quite surprised how much I carry, that is including friends that know I carry a lot of things. I only keep two items per pocket and make sure everything is oriented the same way every time they get put in. The only thing that can be seen is the pen clip clipped to my right rear pocket, if this isn't done, I surely will lose my pen whenever I take out my wallet. I don't even clip my flashlight or knife to my pockets because I know they draw more attention then needed.

EDIT: Whoops just read your "if searched" part.

Times where I knew I couldn't bring in my normal EDC items with me, I had to slim stuff down. This would comprise of my wallet, phone, watch, and keys with fauxton and SAK classic. A few places that I have been to, certain music venues, don't even allow pens inside. Although I brought an E2D on one occasion to this said place, I'm sure I got everyone's attention when security called out to one of their superiors to ask if it was okay, which it was.

4. vaildrop

vaildrop Empty Pockets

My EDC has been this for a couple of years:

[​IMG]

Cameraphone, wallet (with credit card tool), ipod+earphones, keys (with Photon Freedom). This travels about with me in either handbag, bike bag, pannier. Sometimes it expands ... but mostly it's just those which are everyday. The ipod is especially good for reading on when waiting for public transport or people!

5. CF

CF Loaded Pockets

I'm a white collar office worker. I wear dress/work pants and Polo-like shirts everyday. I carry a briefcase.

I consider my "on body carry" to be minimalist and NOT drawing attention whatsoever. I want people to think I'm a regular Joe Schmoe wearing, eh .... dress/work pants and a Polo-like shirt. :)

My Objectives
    - Personal defense
    - Physical capacity for work
    - Communications

Body Carry Approach
    Personal defense:
    > S&W 637, RF in Uncle Mike's pocket holster
    > Benchmade McHenry & Williams Folder in Bill's Urban Wallet, LF pocket
    > Kubotan stylus in Bill's Urban Wallet, LF pocket
    Physical capacity for work
    > Streamlight Stylus Pro in Bill's Urban Wallet, LF pocket
    > SAK Multitool in Bill's Urban Wallet, LF pocket
    > Zebra Pen and small pieces of paper in Bill's Urban Wallet, LF pocket
    > Cash/credit in Maxped Urban Wallet, LR pocket
    Communications
    > Palm Centro in Otterbox riding on belt
    > ID (drivers license, CCW Permit, in Maxped Urban Wallet, LR pocket)

If interested, for a more thorough explanation / rationale, check out my other post in the "What Is EDC" thread:

http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/35634-What-is-EDC?p=910650#post910650

6. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I NEVER carry a backpack when hanging out with friends or going out...I just leave it in the car. I always wear jeans too.
    Left pocket: Flashlight (either a Surefire E1B or E2DL)
    Right pocket: Knife (Spyderco Persistence) and keychain. I put my chapstick in the little coin pocket.
    Back left pocket: Cell phone
    Back right pocket: Wallet

7. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

on just a normal regular day...i am always a minimalist....wallet ...keys...cell phone..my watch...many times i add in my keychain tools or a pocket knive or my kubaton

my work days are a different story and so is some days when i need to carry more..

8. stm

stm Loaded Pockets

I am always amazed at the different interpretations of "minimalist" on this forum. What some consider minimal seems like overkill to others. Here's my take on "very minimal" carry:

I was running errands on my day off last week and I decided to carry only the bare minimum, and the most lightweight items I could find. What I ended up with was a very comfortable collection of gear.

- ID case with DL and debit card only
    - Keyring with house and truck keys plus truck remote, nothing more.
    - Traser titanium watch with Maratac nylon band
    - Kershaw Chive
    - NiteCore D10
    - Cellphone in pocket, no holster

Now for the other half of the equation: not drawing attention. I am by nature a people-watcher. I notice things. These days, everyone carries a cellphone. If you don't have one, you may actually draw attention. But knives clipped to pockets, belt sheaths for multi-tools, bulging pockets and other pouches really draw my attention. Maxpeditions and other gear bags are huge red flags, and so are those tactical/photographer vests. If you're trying to go low profile, try this: Carry your cellphone in your pocket, and put your gear in a cellphone holster on your belt. Use one of those leather smartphone cases with a flap over the top. You could probably put quite a bit of gear in one of those, and no one would be the wiser unless you were stopped and searched.

stm

9. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

SAK
    Mini Flashlight
    Bullet Pen
    Prytool
    Notebook in wallet
    Clipit Knife
    Bandana
    Whistle

Easily carried in pockets, with no bag necessary. I'd lose the clipit and prytool if I thought I was going to be searched. Not because I think there should be an issue, but because I fear someone with an attitude could make these useful tools an issue.

10. wrigh003

wrigh003 Empty Pockets

Every day for me:
    kershaw chive
    fenix e10
    burt's bees lip balm
    keys/wallet/phone
    and that dang ID tag to get into work...

The only thing that drAws attention that I've noticed is that folks occasionally check out my ID tag to see what it is .

11. Timbokhan

Timbokhan Loaded Pockets

My everyday carry really is pretty minimalist! I carry my phone, a can of chew, a pocket knife of some sort, my keys and my wallet. I work for our county, so on those occasions where I have to go to court with or for a client, I don't have to go through the metal detectors. I have frequently (and genuinely) forgotten on several occasions that I was carrying a knife, and I have never had an issue because I don't wear a batbelt or rattle like a maraca.

It has always struck me as weird that I never, and I mean NEVER, forget to take my phone out of my pocket when going to the courthouse, but I have forgotten that my knife was in my pocket at least a half-dozen times. Usually, it was just one of my Case mini-trappers, but I have taken in my Griptilian on one occasion and my endura on another.

12. Darvis

Darvis Loaded Pockets

Outside of my concealed firearm (Glock, strong side IWB) which is ALWAYS with me where it's legal to have, I've narrowed everything down to what can be carried in my Bill's Urban wallet: A ra Clicky, Atwood Sharkbite, FireSteel, BRKT Little Creek (in its sheath which, in turn, slipsin the BUW) A Lamy 5MM Scribble and a few pieces of 3x5 note card, plus a button compass. This is all right side front pocket and is almost, if not invisible even in work khakis. left side gets my Waterfield Design Wallet with the usual cards, etc, plus a small SAK and Ti Whistle. As Backup, there is typically a mini-grip stuck somewhere... That said, all of this combined is very hard to detect by simply looking and I live in a hot climate where my typical wear would be 511 cadet shorts, flip flops, and a T-shirt. I wear a riggers belt to help support the load and keep the pants up!!! All of the equipment is used hard and rides with me because they've proven to be the bits that have NOT broken before and are the tools I use most often. The Bills Urban and Waterfield Wallets are the absolute keys to the system, I would not trade them for anything.

13. Easygoing

Easygoing Empty Pockets

My lightweight EDC

I usually telecommute, so everything normally sits on the pants ready to go or on my desk next to me (depending on what I'm using or not). When I go out, it usually to shop or other casual dress things so wearing a pair of taclite pro's is acceptable.

I don't like to carry much, though, as I already have mini-kits in the car etc...

My loadout is pictured below:

[​IMG]

Most of the time, I don't even carry the HK Knife, as there's a couple utility blades on the Leatherman already.

14. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

I agree that "minimal" is a relative term. So, I am going to look at the "normal" part of the subject.

My setup looks "normal" because I use an office type briefcase for my work and EDC stuff. The extra ( just-in-case, non work related like alcohol wipes, flashlight or multitool ) stuff used to go in an outside pocket of the same bag. Now that I have bought a slightly bigger work bag (something like a laptop bag) , I have designated a small pouch for those just-in-case items. The bag swallows that pouch and paperwork with much room to spare.

So that is how "normal" my setup is.

The minimal part I guess comes from the fact that I always like to stash a few things nearby rather than carrying everything in my bag. Its not because of negative attention, but rather the weight of those tools. I try to cut what I carry to a minium . Even when I needed to EDC reading glasses between home & office, I had an extra pair made just for the office, and I leave it there at the end of the day. At home I have another pair.

Off course, there is a downside for this strategy . Sometimes I have to read a bill or something and I don't have my reading glasses. That is why I have a fresnel lens in the bag. It helps me read fine print if it is not too long.

15. 70dart

70dart Loaded Pockets

This is about as minimal as it gets for me.
    [​IMG]

Robert

DakotaWoodsman likes this.
  16. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Great idea! Should have thought of that myself.

17. dbnyc

dbnyc Empty Pockets

You could get that belt with the multitool buckle, most people wouldn't notice one of those.

18. Timbokhan

Timbokhan Loaded Pockets

You know, the one thing I overlooked in responding to this thread is that I am not a minimalist by choice. I am a minimalist because I simply don't like a bunch of crap in my pockets. When I get to my job, just about everything comes out of my pockets and goes in a drawer so I can walk around unencumbered all day. I keep my knife on me, and that is it.

While I am not critical of those who do in terms of thinking it's dumb or whatever, I genuinely wonder how people walk around with so much stuff on them. Not only that, but that they walk around looking for more ways to haul more stuff. It's every persons personal choice what to carry around, but just from a pure comfort standpoint, I don't get the batbelts and the giant keyrings and the cargo pockets full of stuff. I do have a backpack with what I refer to as "advanced" gear, but I don't walk around with that everywhere I go...

19. CF

CF Loaded Pockets

Well, one could argue, it's your choice to eliminate the bunch of crap from your pockets, while it might be the choice of others to keep it in their pockets. :)

ROFL! Ya I feel the same way, I don't like the feeling of being "encumbered" as you put it. If I carry stuff on my person, I want it to stay on my person, and I don't want to take it off until I'm "home" or someplace I feel is like "home" (work doesn't cut it for me lol). If I do take something off my person, most likely it will be for comfort reasons and it would go into my "pouch" or briefcase if at work.

Some people like to carry their stuff, I can understand it completely. I used to carry a lot of stuff in my Maxped Fatboy, did it for like nine months. When I went for my first hike in a long time, I realized I carried stuff in their that I would NOT really want to take on my hike, I wanted to go light, but sufficient, as my hikes were more "cardio oriented" than leisure oriented. Then I realized, for me to carry ALL (because it seemed easier than emptying and re-organizing), I would need ANOTHER BAG!

At that point, I said to myself, you're going a bit overboard here. See if you can TRULY utilize what you have now in terms of gear/tools. So I gave it a shot, emptied the bag, and now I don't see using it except for hikes and other special day trips like vacation / sightseeing.

I've learned to go "minimalist" .... although keep in mind one man's minimalism could be another man's excess lol.

20. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

I'd call my basic on-my-person EDC very minimalist. It has to be because I don't want my "hamster pockets" on my jeans.

LF: Cell phone
    RF: Key chain with Photoin Freedom OR Fenix E01; Leatherman Juice S2 in home made denim sleeve
    RB: Wallet
    LB: Pack of paper tissues

Left wrist: Watch (Citizen Titanium Eco Drive)

And thats it. Okay, when I go out I almost always have more stuff in my backpack or messenger bag, but the thigs mentioned above are the basics that I always carry.